Leaky cam cover gasket

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Leaky cam cover gasket

Post by evilally »

I recently fitted a recon head to my 405. I noticed that it was leaking a lot from the cam cover, despite having a new gasket fitted. I took it off, cleaned it thoroughly and refitted it with a genuine Peugeot gasket. However about 1,000 miles since I notice it's still leaking a little, although not much. What could be causing this?
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Is it the 405 in your sig ? (XUD9T)

Where is it actually leaking from ? (I mean where abouts on the gasket)

The cam seals can leak but that does not seem that common if they were replaced and sealed when the head was put together (I mean not "fitted" on the car, I mean when they put the cam etc into the head)

Are the cam cover bolts tight enough ? (they can vibrate loose sometimes) check they are tight enough (do NOT overtighten them!) :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Yes, 1.9TD. It seems to leak from all along the edge of the gasket. The bolts are tight, without being mega tight. Could there be some other underlying problem?
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Take the cam cover off and lay it on a piece of glass or something known to be 'level'

Just to check its not warped or anything (if it is go grab a replacement)

I think the gasket will allow a bit of warpage given its properties but its worth checking quickly as I can't think of anything else amiss (the head casting is not going to be 'out' as it were.

That's about all I can quickly think of. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

One thing to bear in mind when fitting the gasket is the surfaces must be totally free of oil, both the gasket itself and the head face.

Any oil present when offering the gasket up can result in capilliary leads forming and these will suck oil out under the gasket.

I also find it a good idea to clean the edge of the cam cover thoroughly before fitting the new gasket and ensuring it is firmly pressed home all the way around.

The need for oil-free joint faces wasa trick learned from the days of BMC A-Series rocker boxes with cork gaskets..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

if this is the engine im thinking of you have to use sealant at each end of the head either side of each bearing cap, the shape/angle is so sharp at thses points the rubber gasket doesnt stand a chance of sealing and you will get an oil leak, i cant think of anything else that would be causing it if the gasket itself is new and soft still.................

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............