Hydraulic line leaking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

scoles

Hydraulic line leaking

Post by scoles »

Well had a funny feeling it wouldnt be long beforei returned to ask for some help.

After getting the wheel bearings sorted it appears now that the oil i was finding wasn't gearbox oil.

Its in actual fact a suspension line.

I can see it if looking in the N/S wheel arch....it runs from behind the gearbox over the driveshaft tunnel and down the side of the gear box....

It must be rotton as it was dripping at a fair rate out and soon as i touched the pipe it started flowing at a fair old rate.

Now my question is these pipes be replaced in sections like brake pipes or is it a case of a trip to the dealers for the whole pipe......which looks like it runs from the front of the engine to the rear of the engine somehow??

So any help much appreciated

Stuart
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If my visualisation is correct Stuart, you mean the pipes that run along the chassis rail above the end of the gearbox.

One has a coil in it, clipped to the end of the gearbox. This one begins at the pressure regulator (the block behind the accumulator sphere) and sometimes ends in a "K" junction under the LHM reservoir. Not too hard to replace. It is the main hydraulic pressure feed up to the security valve. If no "K" junction, it'll end at the security valve, again under the LHM reservoir.

The other one is the PAS feed to the rack and has a section of thick rubber in its run between the HP pump and the rack pinion valve. This one is a bit of a devil to replace as it runs right from the pump, across the rail, behind the engine along the subframe before getting to to the pinion valve.

Have a natter with Martin at Pleiades about made-up replacements and methods of repair.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
scoles

Post by scoles »

Hi that sounds about right... from what i could see it had a section of plastic cable tidy on it just at the rear of the gearbox.

I will need to have a proper look as all i done was raise the car fully and look in behind the wheel.

Just about at my teather end with this car i think.

Its been one thing after another :(

I dont fancy replacing whole sections of pipe as it all looks way too compact to gain decent access to get at.

I will double check what pipe it is before reoprting back.

Cheers
Stuart
scoles

Post by scoles »

I was thinking....If i were to get some 3.5mm brake lines.... and cut the middle of the leaking line and replace it with normal flared ends would that work?

Stuart
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Joints are often not very successful Stuart, due to the pressures involved...

Always best to replace a complete line..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
scoles

Post by scoles »

ah no worries.... just a thought to save spending more ££££ on this car.

Think i'll need to wait till that place opens to get a new pipe ordered.

Going to advertise it when this is done as i have lost interest in it now.

Cheers
Stuart
scoles

Post by scoles »

Well just of the phone to Pleiades and very helpfull to say the least.

He advised me that if the nut is 8mm then the pipe is 3.5mm and if its 9mm nut then the pipe is 4.5mm

So my question is does anyone know if the pipe varies in size on the LHM?

like if the diameter is different for power steering and suspension?

Becuase if i could find out the diamter the now whilst sitting at my desk at work then i could order it today and hopefully get her running again for the weekend.

Also anyone with any experience on removing these pipes? are they a pain to remove just like brake pipes?

Cheers
Stuart
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

If it's the one with the coil in it down by the gearbox, it'll be 3.5mm Stuart.

Should not be too bad to remove/swap as it's not usually too badly corroded at the ends...
Jim

scoles

Post by scoles »

Well managed to find out which pipe it is thats leaking.

turns out its the one that comes from teh top of the pump along the front of the engine, into a 10mm ID flexible pipe... then off round the side of the gear box and along the subframe into the powersteering rack.

My only question is... the flares on both ends are normal brake pipe flares.

And the pipe coming off the pump looks to be in the region of 6mm... its that size until the 10mm ID flexi where is comes out the other side of the flexi it goes down to 4.5 mm

Now... can the hard pipes be disconnected from the flexi piece as there doesn't appear to be any union nuts...it looks crimped.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks
Stuart
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's the PAS supply pipe Stuart.

I have a small leak in mine on my Activa project...

No, the flexi section cannot be disconnected from the metal sections.

This reminds me that I must give Pleiades a call about this as I recall DaveTheRave having this pipe fail on his Xantia during a rally at Little Horwiid last year. I've a feeling Martin did a replacement pipe for him where the flexi section was substituted by a big coil similar to the main 3.5mm supply pipe from the regulator.

I'll give Martin a call later today, have a natter with him and let you know the result...
Jim

scoles

Post by scoles »

CitroJim wrote:That's the PAS supply pipe Stuart.

I have a small leak in mine on my Activa project...

No, the flexi section cannot be disconnected from the metal sections.

This reminds me that I must give Pleiades a call about this as I recall DaveTheRave having this pipe fail on his Xantia during a rally at Little Horwiid last year. I've a feeling Martin did a replacement pipe for him where the flexi section was substituted by a big coil similar to the main 3.5mm supply pipe from the regulator.

I'll give Martin a call later today, have a natter with him and let you know the result...
Just of the phone to that company and he rekons that the flexi is there more for pulsations from the pump rather than vibrations.

So isn't sure he can do it.

Off to citroen i think :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

scoles wrote: Off to citroen i think :(
Be prepared :twisted: They're expensive :cry: Very.

I have been doing a bit of researching and as Martin says, the flexi is pretty vital and a coil is not a good solution as there is no accumulator in this like to absorb pulses and shocks.

The best thought on this whole matter is to have a natter with your local Pirtek mob and see if they can help. They should be able to make up a suitable pipe using your (good) rubber bit but less terminations. All you'd have to do is braze your own terminations on to the new pipe and these can be rescued from the old pipe.

Else get one from a scrappy.
Jim

scoles

Post by scoles »

Hi well called citroen yesterday and it was £105 for the pipe....which is sore.

But a citroen breakers wanted £60 + VAT for a rusty one so comparing to that its not too bad.

I have a local hydraulics firm that so work for us going to have a look at it on monday to see if they can do anything with it.

So if that fails then its citroen i guess.

Cheers
Stuart
seany87
My Cars:

Post by seany87 »

i got my local pirtek to make me one of these... I just love the way the original pipe rusts being unprotected at the front of the engine bay, splashed by road salt etc...

There was no way I could afford a replacement pipe so pirtek knocked me up one for £50, there are some pulsations through the steering especially as they cable tied the pipe to the bulkhead but that doesnt bother me too much, if I find a replacement pipe from a scrapyard I will return it to original.
scoles

Post by scoles »

seany87 wrote:i got my local pirtek to make me one of these... I just love the way the original pipe rusts being unprotected at the front of the engine bay, splashed by road salt etc...

There was no way I could afford a replacement pipe so pirtek knocked me up one for £50, there are some pulsations through the steering especially as they cable tied the pipe to the bulkhead but that doesnt bother me too much, if I find a replacement pipe from a scrapyard I will return it to original.
can i ask what part of the pipe it was that you got pirtek to make?