FRONT RIGHT WHEEL BEARING

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CITMAN
My Cars:

FRONT RIGHT WHEEL BEARING

Post by CITMAN »

FURTHER TO MY PREVIOUS POST REGARDING THE FRONT RIGHT BRAKE BINDING, HEAT BUILD UP ETC. I JACKED THE CAR UP TO SEE IF THE BRAKES RELEASED. HOWEVER BEFORE HAND A TRIED CHECKING FOR FREE PLAY IN THE WHEEL AT THE 3 TO 9 POSITION. I FOUND THAT IT HAD QUITE A BIT OF MOVEMENT COMPARED WITH THE OTHER SIDE WHICH DOESNT SEEM TO BIND I.E. NO HEAT BUILD UP AND NO ANNOYING SQUEAKING NOISE.
I SUSPECT A WHEEL BEARING (HUB BEARING). WOULD A WHEEL BEARING THE A LOT OF FREE PLAY CAUSE THE SYMTOMS A DESCRIBE ABOVE. OR IS IT THE WHEEL BEARING CAUSING THE HEAT BUILD UP.
I CANT HERE ANY DODGE NOISES COMING FROM THE CAR AT THE MOMENT WHILE DRIVING.
IF IT IS THE WHEEL BEARING IS IT POSSIBLE TO DIY. AND ALSO HOW MUCH IS LIKELY TO COST FOR GARAGE TO THE JOB.
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

I hope you find the answer, but please, don't shout.
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

left caps lock on thats all
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

No probs...happens to me often..usually when I'm typing in a password :)
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If you are keen, you could do at least some of the work in replacing the wheel bearing. It's easiest if you remove the hub carrier from the car. It doesn't matter how you go about knocking the old bearings out since they're scrap, but the new ones have to be put in without damaging them. You could take the carrier and the bearings to a workshop and get them to press them in. You may have difficuly in undoing the hub nut. You need a decent socket with plenty of leverage.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Watch out for confusing play in track rod ends / inner steering rack joint when doing a "quarter past nine" check on the wheel bearing. The same applies to bottom ball joint when rocking at "half twelve"
//NiSk
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Spot on mate. The problem with the play has being put down to worn inner track rod ends. been quoted £80 for both of them fitted.