406 1.9td not switching of with key

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Grewcock

406 1.9td not switching of with key

Post by Grewcock »

Hi first post, recently purchased 406 1.9td 98 R reg found how to disable keypad imob on forum, start with code then remove keypad IDEAL. Other problem occasionally it will not turn of with the key, battery light stays on and engine still runs i have to stall the car to stop. It did this before removal of key pad. Is it the stop solenoid playing up. If so where is the best place to get another one from.

Regards Chris
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

If just the battery light remains on and nothing else, its 99% likely the stop solenoid. Just this on is because the current being generated as its still turning is enough to put the light on (as its "lost" the feed from the other side of the bulb)

Unfortunately, your pump has amour around it (unless its been removed) , this needs to come off to get at the solenoid (and the one fitted if its still armoured is not 'normal' it has the immobilizer built in) so you would throw that out (if you wanted to do away with your keypad) and fit a conventional one.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum :D

Could well be as the alternator would continue to put out a charge thus leaving the ignition/charging light on. I take it the light goes off as soon as the engine stops and there's not undue diischarge of the battery overnight.

No need to stall the car to stop. In fact it's bad to stall it on a regular basis and it can damage the clutch and drivetrain in general in a similar way that bump-starting a diesel can.

Use the pump emergency stop lever to stop the engine.

This picture shows the lever:

Note that this is an earlier non-turbo pump fitted to a Citroen BX but the stop lever on yours looks the same and is in the same place. Push in the direction of the arrow to stop.

Fixing yours is a tad tricky as the pump is armoured in the vicinity of the stop solenoid. Once the armour is off, the solenoid is easily replaced. I suspect the viton tip on the end of the plunger is in the process of bidding a fond farewell.

For armour removal, do a search for posts by Lawrence1973 and KennyW. They, between them, are the past masters.

This website gives some guidance on this tricky job and shows the stop solenoid clearly.

EDIT: Sorry Andy, we were both typing at the same time there....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Grewcock

Post by Grewcock »

Many thanks for replies. Will try some armour piercing soon.
Regards Chris