C5 Glow Plugs and DPF Regeneration

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

corsehf
My Cars:

C5 Glow Plugs and DPF Regeneration

Post by corsehf »

Hi all
I have read somewhere that there is a connection between Glow Plugs and DPF Regeneration? - i:e, your Glow Plugs need to be working for the DPF Regeneration to take place, is this correct??
I do know that i have a faulty glow plug - not sure which one but it come up as a fault when i was having other issues last year. I was told at that time not to touch them as: 1: i don't really need them and, 2: they are a B*****d to do and can snap off easily resulting in a costly head off job to repair.
I had a DPF Blocked warning recently which has coincided with the car drinking fuel at an alarming rate??
Andy

2003 C5 2.2HDi Exclusive SE Est

2001 C5 2.2HDi SX Est (gone to C5 Heaven!)
2001 Omega 2.2DTi Est (stolen by Ex!!)
1997 Xantia 2.1TD SX
1994 ZX TD Volcane
Lancia Stratos Replica
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Basically when the FAP is regenerating (whether it be when driving or forced by a diagnostic tool) the car starts 'load aquiring' to put the engine under more load to make it heat up (therefore heating the exhaust more) as much as possible. It does this by turning on several heavy electrical consumers such as the heated rear screen & mirrors, the cooling fan and the glowplugs. When it does it you dont really know its happening as there are no teltale lights on for the heated screed etc.
I dont believe the glowplugs have anything else to do with the FAP regeneration apart from that.