Xantia Blower Resistor Pack (Non-Aircon Type)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Xantia Blower Resistor Pack (Non-Aircon Type)

Post by CitroJim »

My Activa project is a non-aircon model and consequently has a resistor pack for blower speed control. None of these silly transistors :lol:

The blower was not working and this was found to be caused by the thermal fuse in the resistor pack going open circuit. Bridging the fuse brings full and perfect functionality.

I've never heard of one of these fuses going before. I wonder why it did :?

Two questions: Can it be replaced? If so with what and how? Would it be OK long-term to leave it bridged out given the blower is fed via a normal 30A fuse and the motor itself has a thermal cutout buried in the windings?

If the answer is No! and No-way! Anyone got a spare resistor pack they can donate to the cause?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Would have to assume overheating made it fail. It is rare but thermal fuses (you can see them inside power supply transformers sometimes too) can just decide to retire for no reason.

I'd have to suggest you obtain a replacement and solder it in (if its soldered) , tis there for a reason after all, although you probably would get away without it, overheating motor = potential cause of fire.

When a motor (a/c ones at least like your vacuum) are under more load (say the pipe was blocked) they actually use less current, I did not know this myself until it was demonstrated, the ammeter fell not rose.

Caution: The heat from soldering can cause them to 'fail' too. Use a shunt (pair of pliers if needed) to 'shunt' excess heat away.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Hi Jim, :D

The resistor pack can overheat from lack of airflow before the fuse and thermal cutout will know.
It’s also badly placed, and needs its own protection.
Thermal fuses also let go for no obvious reasons.

We have topics about that, and I’ll go digging.
The fuse is about 167ºC, available from Maplins and such.
It must be crimped in; not soldered because the solder will melt.

Keep enjoying all that fiddling. :lol:

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh, thats the baby Clogzz, missing it's little perforated tent...

How's that little tent held in? It seems to have no obvious fixing...

I noticed the fuse was crimped in. I ran the blower with the resistor pack out and by gosh, a heck of a draft rattles out of the hole where it lives to keep it all cool. Those resistor elements must dissipate a fair few watts.

The car in question has had long-standing scuttle leaks and all has been very, very wet in the past. I wondered if that had any bearing. Still, with the blower rigged to work, I has happy to find the heater matrix is OK.

Thanks Andy, from a safety point of view it will most certainly be replaced... I'd not fully considered the implications of a fire resulting from a failure and even those resistor elements are little electric fires in their own right and if the fan stops, goodnight Vienna. Toasted Activa is not good...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...