c5 trip comp

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bakerg226

c5 trip comp

Post by bakerg226 »

Hi can anyone help just brought a c5 hdi sx and everythings fine but can not get the trip computer to work, i press the end of the wiperstick but nothing happens?
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Hi and welcome to the FCF :)

Your SX does have a trip computer but its quite a common failing for the button on the end of the wiper stalk to fail. I think there is a fix for this but im not sure exactly how its done. I think it might be on here somewhere if you have a search around.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Welcome to our troubles. :twisted:

If the wiper stick changes the display from mileage to consumption and average speed, then the stick function works.
Push the stick to display any trip indication, such as average speed.
With a trip indication displayed, push the stick in until the displayed value returns to zero; that may take over 5 seconds.
It won’t work on displays that say ‘check control’, ‘programming’, or other functions that aren’t related to trip indications.

There’s also a trip meter above the odometer, and you reset it with the black button at the top left of the binnacle.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
bakerg226

Post by bakerg226 »

Thanks for replying, Il have a mess about with it and see how i get on, Its not a major prob but would be nice to see how many mpg im getting. Only had it 2 days so still getting used to it. Must admit its prob one of the nicest drives iv had.
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,
Common problem.

The button in the end of the stalk presses onto a small sprung contact that then puts a 5volt signal into the display control. Each 5v input causes an change of parameter displayed.

The sprung contact is part of a phosphor bronze "spider" arrangement that sits on top of a small circular circuit board fixed into the body of the stalk.

The lights stalk is identical and has an identical "spider" which in that case is also moved by the lights switch to make different contacts on the printed cicuit board to signal the BSi to put on side lights, headlights etc.

Normally it is just that the sprung contact has relaxed a bit and you just need to bend it a bit so that it makes contact.

If it has broken (as mine had) you can just solder a couple of wires to the pc board and put a suitable small push button switch (maplins do one for about 90p "Tactile Switch" I think I used type 105 or 105A (codes KR88V or KR 89W)) under the stalk button.

The button in the end of the stalk leavers out with a small screw driver and the end body of the stalk is released by pressing together the two halves of the plastic retaining fork at the centre (small pliers) and pulling the body off.

Just mind you do not loose the cap spring or thec spider!!

John
bakerg226

Post by bakerg226 »

hi thanks for the advice i took the stalk apart and there was a broken brass contact so i swop the light stalks brass for the broken one but still does not work? does it plug in or have seperate fuses i have checked all the ones in the book?
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

With ignition on, suggest you check that there is 5v on the pcb track that the spider is permanently in contact with. If not then suspect wiring or fuse.

If there is 5v, then try bridging between there and the other track with a bit of wire. You should be able to step thru the display parameters each time you make contact.

If this is ok then it is just the spring contact still not making contact fully.

If it does not work then I suspect it is the display or the wiring etc between the stalk and display that is at fault. Not sure if this goes via the BSI.

John
bakerg226

Post by bakerg226 »

hi john, i think i have found the problem it looks like it has become disconnected from the circuit inside the housing around the steering wheel. I think the only way to get to it properley is to take off the steering wheel but im not sure how hard/easy this wound be or if it is pheasable to do???