Berlingo Van engine swap

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

columbusautos
My Cars:

Berlingo Van engine swap

Post by columbusautos »

Don't know much of french cars in truth i try to avoid them but was recently given a early model diesel berlingo van to use as a work van.
Problem being it can't pull the skin off a rice pudding and i was wondering if there would any major difficulties with converting the engine to a zx 1.9td engine to get a bit more grunt.
Firstly will this engine fit to the existing box if not will the zx gearbox fit existing shafts or would zx shafts fit the existing hubs if nothing orignal will fit.
As far as i can tell the engines must be similar due to having similar engine codes (checked on autodata)hopefully they use the same block so onely an engine will be needed for the conversion.
Any info would be very useful as i suspect the headgasket to be on the way out so an engine swap will be on the cards soon :D
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Not an expert on this issue :lol: :lol:

Have a look at This Topic as it details problems of a similar swop

Colin
columbusautos
My Cars:

Post by columbusautos »

thats good cheers colin seems to answer most of the questions so box will fit meaning only the engine will need replacing just got to source a donor now.
thanks for the help
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Just check what box you have in there at present as there is some discussion on gear ratios/compatability for different lumps and boxes

Colin
michael2207
My Cars:

Post by michael2207 »

admiral51 wrote:Not an expert on this issue :lol: :lol:

Have a look at This Topic as it details problems of a similar swop

Colin
A berlingo/partner van is basically a zx/306 chassis. Fit engine/box assembly along with shafts. TD shafts are thicker for the extra torque

The dt box has different gearing, i know as a mate of mine fitted a td engine to his 405d without changing it and it has no top end speed, revving its head off @ 50mph!
:D :lol: I used to have a black '92 BX GTi 4x4; I wonder where it went? :D :lol:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If you can find one, a BE3 gearbox from a 90 HDi will offer you usefully longer gears over a standard BE3 1.9TD 'box.

Don't try to use a 'box from a 110 HDi as these are completely different...

A D 'box on a TD will give blinding acceleration :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
michael2207
My Cars:

Post by michael2207 »

CitroJim wrote: A D 'box on a TD will give blinding acceleration :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: Oh yes, good acceleration in 1,2,3......... :oops: :oops: and fuk all in 4&5 cos you already have hit 50 and its revvin its nuts off :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:
:D :lol: I used to have a black '92 BX GTi 4x4; I wonder where it went? :D :lol:
eddiekirby
New User
My Cars: citroen berlingo 1.4 petrol 2012

Re: Berlingo Van engine swap

Post by eddiekirby »

guy's I have a 2012, 1.4 petrol berlingo van. Engine is getting tired, what would be a good easy (one in and one out) engine swoop with a little more power.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Berlingo Van engine swap

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You'll also need to be aware that the engine management ECU will be different for a 1.6 petrol, plus gearbox / clutch and driveshafts, so it's not as simple as an engine swap. Also bear in mind that the engine ECU and BSIs / transponders are also matched. Cooling system is also different as are some of the wiring looms...

It would be less cost to trade your vehicle in for something else to be honest....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc