S2 2.1 Exclusive

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

S2 2.1 Exclusive

Post by Old-Guy »

Spotted this one on ebay.

I seem to remember reading in posts that some jobs on the 2.1 are less 'easy' than on the 1.9 - it would probably need a cam belt change as well as a set of new spheres (no problem apart from the £150 or so) and an LHM flush.

How hard is the cam belt to do on a 2.1 given that the S2 bodyshell is that bit wider?

I'm tempted to 'save' this one, do the suspension and cam belt, let my son use it for a year or so while I sort it properly before passing it on to another enthusiast.

Any thoughts anyone? Jim?

Guy
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Depends on how much you can get it for,i wouldnt really spend much on it as it has 185,000 on it already and this could put some people off buying it after you have put a few more miles on the clock ,plus the cost of the cambelt,spheres etc not really a wise investment i would say :roll:

Dave
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

If it goes cheap enough, and i suspect it might with that mileage. Then if your wanting it you would be best keeping it for a good while, as putting a cambelt and spheres on it will be money you wont see again.

Good engines the 2.1, go on and on, not sure what a cambelt is like to do on one. Im on good terms with a local garage who did the Xm for £70 labour. Plus parts which is about £100 or so? Water pump too.

That being a hydractive will have 8 spheres, bear this in mind as its likely if it rides hard then the rest of the spheres will have been neglected too.

Id also like to ask for interior pictures, leather can wear badly at this mileage and if its torn it will cost to fix/replace. It just mentiones a comfy interior, nothing about the condition ...

Only the front wings of a S2 are wider than the S1, so your not really going to be gaining any room in the engine bay.

It would ne nice to get it and use it a bit, though id be tempted to run it until it drops, unless you want to pass it on with good spheres and a cambelt for similar money to what you buy the car for.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Geoff Lebowski

Post by Geoff Lebowski »

I\'ve never done a 1.9 TD Xantia, but plenty of BX 1.7 TDs. Certainly on the Xantia 2.1, space is more restricted than the BX. I found the auxilliary belt more of a pain to be honest. I seem to remember I removed the aluminium engine mount bracket (the top one) but not sure if this was 100% necessary (not helpful is it?!)

The 2.1TD uses a different tensioner compared to the BX 1.7 TD (again, not sure how it compares to a 1.9 TD) and it may be worth familiarising yourself with the 2.1 TD tensioner before replacing the belt.

If you like, I can post a picture of one.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Geoff Lebowski wrote: I seem to remember I removed the aluminium engine mount bracket (the top one) but not sure if this was 100% necessary

I used to have a 2.1 Xantia and did the cambelt a couple of times. The support for the top engine mount is also attached down the side of the inner wing. Yes! You need to remove it all otherwise you won't get the top front cover off. Space between engine and wing is tight. Actual belt changing wasn't much different to previous BX and 205's.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I don't think that the 2.1 belt is much more difficult to change than the 1.9, certainly in the XM it isn't and I have done many. The 2.1 is a surperb engine which should give not only better performance but improved economy as well. The only serious problem they they normally ever have is head gasket failure and in my experience that occurs at around 150,000 miles, if its had the gasket replaced - super

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've had both a 1.9TD and a 2.1TD and for my money, nearly every job on a 2.1TD is either the same or easier. The only exception being the head gasket which is an engine out job. I believe it is possible in-situ but a lot easier if you hoike the whole shebang out..

The 2.1TD is the superior engine. I'm wholeheartedly in agreement with you Peter :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have done a head gasket with the engine in situ - I'm still recovering :?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:I have done a head gasket with the engine in situ - I'm still recovering :?
I can believe that Peter :lol: I find a head on a 1.9TD is struggle enough for me.

I'm firmly of the school of whipping the engine out for all jobs like this. Comes of owning a V6 I guess where (almost) the engine needs to come out just to change the plugs... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm joking there but sometimes the amount of struggling you do to do a job avoiding the removing the engine complete is handsomely outweighed by the task of actually removing the engine in the first place.

Makes doing a whole load of value-added jobs (like cambelts) very easy too :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...