newby help on xsara tickover please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shaggy

newby help on xsara tickover please

Post by shaggy »

hi, 1st post so go easy on me ! lol
i have a 53 plate xsara 1.6 8valve .
it drives fine but when stopped and on idle only it hunts changing between 750 and 1250 ish revs or occasionally it goes to a stable 2000 ish revs.
i dont know if it is any help but when the car moves if i put my foot on the clutch at say 30 mph letting the engine idle it will idle smoothly. the problem only seems to occur when the car has stopped or almost stopped.
ive done the usual disconnecting connections and cleaning and removed the mapsensor and cleaned but no difference also my local garage put a snap on ethos reader onto the diag connector but it wouldnt read!is there a fuse for this?
any help much appreciated
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi Shaggy and welcome

the first thing i would check is the idle stteper motor, i find the best way to test them is remove blast it out with carb cleaner then re/fit, if this seems to fix the fault look for a new one, because they dont loke carb cleaner upm and it will almost certainly die in the hear future,

the above just prooves if its at fault, i know but they do get carbon build up which affects there function

were abouts are you as some of us on here own LEXIA's

regards malcolm
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

same thing happens on the zetec engine it usually turns out to be the speed sensor it'll tickover when its moving but at a standstill it trys to stall then the revs climb again not sure if you have a simalar setup may be worth a look
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citronut wrote: i find the best way to test them is remove blast it out with carb cleaner then re/fit, if this seems to fix the fault look for a new one, because they dont loke carb cleaner upm and it will almost certainly die in the hear future,
Might as well just buy a new one as once it has been blasted with carb cleaner, it's days are numbered anyway :)

Welcome, shaggy :)
shaggy

Post by shaggy »

thanks for the quick replies.
i'll try and clean the stepper motor and see how that goes.im in ayrshire scotland so probably miles from anybody thanks anyway.
does anyone know if the diagnostic connector has a fuse?
also what can i expect to pay for a new stepper motor from a factors?