Xantia - likely air con leak points?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Xantia - likely air con leak points?

Post by Dommo »

Hi folks.

My AC worked when I bought the car on new years eve. And since fixing the suspension at the rear and changing the front ram, it doesn't.

I went to Kwik Fit today to top it up, knowing that you don't get charged if it can't hold pressure. The guy came over to me after an hour and said sorry mate it won't hold pressure - therefore it's leaking.

So basically I was wondering where the common leak points are on the Activa CT? I know with 306's if there's a leak it's likely to be the pipes that run under the rad so I was wondering if there's some usual points to check for leaking? I know I can take it to a place to get a leak test but I was wondering if I could have a look for anything obvious.

Cheers.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I think the two common leaks are from the condenser itself (road salt causes corrosion), or one of the pipes near the condenser.

The condenser is quite cheap if you shop around, and (depending on your engine) not too hard to fit. The A/C pipes are generally very expensive (new), and if it is the one running back to the expansion valve, very difficult to fit.

Any worthwhile A/C technician would have used a sniffer to determine at least the approximate location of a leak.

If it has leaked in the last few months, there should be tell-tale oily mess near the leak.
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

The pipe out of the compressor looks quite oiley where it meets the compressor, so it could be there? I'll have a look at the condensor at some point, tomorrow if I can.

Cheers v6