zx fuel pump relay

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Owen101

zx fuel pump relay

Post by Owen101 »

Anyone know how to bypass or check the fuel pump relay on zx volcane?

Engine turns over but wont start. Cannot hear the fuel pump priming when turn on ignition anymore so figured pump or relay. theres no fuse for pump as far as I could find. Getting at the pump is very awkward so would like to check the relay first.
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

check and see if it has a pump cut-off switch these can sometimes kick off for no apparent reason it should tell you in the handbook where its located
Owen101

Post by Owen101 »

you mean the red button type (xantia maybe). No doesnt have one of these.
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

i was led to believe that if its fitted with fuel injection it had to have the cut off switch in the event of an accident to stop it pumping petrol as a fire hazard other than that take the cover of the fuel pump and check if there is 12v at the connector while someone cranks the engine
Owen101

Post by Owen101 »

Removed/replaced the connection to the fuel injection relay (by the battery) a few times with ignition on. After a awhile I heard the reassuring whirr and click of the pump which told me it had come to life. Started first time then.

Thing is, this has happened intermittently since I owned the car. Would it be worth replacing the relay altogether?
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

probably but try some electrical cleaner on the terminals and the coresponding plug first to rule out dodgy contacts