Xantia HDi Electric window & central locking problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mrjohnson
My Cars:

Post by mrjohnson »

I’ve dug a hole for myself and am hoping someone can help me climb out!

The car is a 1999 Xantia SX estate 110bhp Hdi.

I’ve had a couple of courtesy lights with no voltage for a while, but I’ve ignored them. Also, the remote hasn’t worked for a while, but the central locking worked OK with the key in the doors, so I ignored that too.

What I didn’t want to ignore is an inoperative n/s rear electric window. It didn’t work on the door or console switch, and neither switch was lit up.

So…..I read up on the forum, and had a go. I used the diagrams from here:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... iring+loom

Although for a MkI, it looked very similar to what I found in my MkII.

I didn’t disconnect the battery, not having the radio code. That was maybe mistake number 1.

I first checked the window motor. No voltage getting to it.

Swapping the door switches over proved that they were OK.

I then checked the earth strap and connector blocks at the near side of the passenger footwell under the carpet, disconnecting and reconnecting. All very clean.

I then looked inside the rubber bellows to the rear n/s door. 3 broken wires…613, 612, 6111. Now, I did have to pull a bit to get the bellows out, but the breaks were corroded. Pulling too hard may have been mistake number 2.

I spliced and soldered the wires.

I have a nasty feeling I may have left the ignition on at some stage during all of this. If I did…mistake number 3.

When I tested everything I found that:

o No central locking (except tailgate, from both front doors..tailgate then unlocked again). Pressing any door button had no effect on any other door.

o The only electric window working is the rear o/s (on both switches). Both front and original n/s rear are not.

o No mirror adjustor and no outside temp guage.

o No door speakers.

I’ve check all fuses – footwell and engine bay – and they are OK.

So, as far as I can see:

1. I could have broken (inside the insulation) some other wires in the rear n/s door bellows whilst yanking at the loom.

2. I could have shorted the broken wires accidentally. Although this hasn’t blown a fuse it could have damaged a relay or blown a weakened wire (instead of a fuse). Not sure where each relay is, not how to test them.

3. The passenger footwell connector blocks may now not be working properly (unlikely?).

4. Or, of course, any combination of the above.

Any advice gratefully received. Right now I’m feeling like a real plonker!

Thanks

Martyn
mrjohnson
My Cars:

Post by mrjohnson »

Well, I've sorted it out.

The main connector in the passenger footwell was loose. It has a lock which slides in and out sideways - I'd managed to slide this back in place with the connector not properly together. Now it's pushed in and clamped properly, everthing works, including the electric window I started out fixing.

Result!...and relief.

Regards

Martyn
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

That does sound like a good result! :D
It is nice when its a simple fix, especially as you got your window working as well!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s