Xantia HDI diagnostics

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

georgetwelve
My Cars:

Xantia HDI diagnostics

Post by georgetwelve »

I have a Xantia HDI and the problem is when we plug into the diagnostic socket we get no response. We have worked out that there are two live pins and two earth pins. These are all OK. We have also sprayed with switch cleaner. Any ideas or can we, somehow run straight off the ECU?
George McLaren
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

What are you plugging into the diagnostic socket? Citroens of that age don't generally support generic diagnostics tools.
georgetwelve
My Cars:

Post by georgetwelve »

We are using a Lexia. It is a "W" reg
George McLaren
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

To run a Lexia directly off the ECU you'll need a breakout harness, the trouble with that is that the lexia won't have the correct lead attached to carry out the diagnosis, breakout harnesses are used to test each individual component/sensor. What sort of Lexia do you have (Lexia 2 on a tablet computer or Lexia 3 from a laptop) does you Lexia work OK on other cars?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
georgetwelve
My Cars:

Post by georgetwelve »

We are using a Lexia 2, which works on other vehicles
George McLaren
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

How are you trying to access the ECU, have you tried using the 'Global' method or are you selecting the engine model manually, with the Global method Lexia selects the correct ECU for you (just in case you've made a wrong choice). Please don't take this the wrong way but have switched the ignition on?

What is the nature of the problem, is the engine running or a non starter? I'm wondering that if the engines a non starter the ECU may be U/S.

My own Lexia 2 works a treat on my HDi.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
georgetwelve
My Cars:

Post by georgetwelve »

It is always a good question to ask if the ignition is on and yes is the answer. It is a non starter, different engine. It turns over and I suppose the phrase is that it "wants to start". Not even with Easy Start
The ECU works because we have got a reading from another vehicle. When all is connected the Lexia says it can't communicate with the ECU
George McLaren
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The Lexia may also refuse to communicate if the immobiliser is active. It needs for both ignition to be on and for the immobiliser to be deactivated.

You say you've been swapping engines. Did you also swap ECUs? I believe the ECU needs to be paired up with its own transponder, ignition key and body computer for all to correctly work...

Can the lexia "see" any other ECUs on the car?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
georgetwelve
My Cars:

Post by georgetwelve »

There is no immobiliser. We have kept the old ECU etc. Sadly this diagnostic problem is not new. But last time it was only a minor fault in the car and we managed to cure it without the Lexia
George McLaren
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

georgetwelve wrote:There is no immobiliser.
How has that been removed/disabled :? Jim is correct in saying that the ECU, body computer and key all need to be a matched set.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
georgetwelve
My Cars:

Post by georgetwelve »

Sorry I thought you meant the keypad immobilizer that I had on my previous Xantia. The ECU, body computer and key all are from the original. But how do we access the diagnostics so that we can find out why it won't run?
George McLaren
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I'm not sure I'm following this correctly so this could be wrong but if the ECU has been connected to a new engine will the ECU need the injectors pairing with it or did that come along later?

Could it be that there's harness damage and that's why the Lexia won't connect?

Steve.
not applicable
georgetwelve
My Cars:

Post by georgetwelve »

Does any one know what each of the pins in the diagnostic socket connects to in the ECU so that we could perhaps by pass the socket?
George McLaren
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

Look at the post further down from Frank Smit, there's a link to a site that details the pin connections.

Keith
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

is it a Siemens SID801 or a Bosch EDC15C2
I have powered up a SID801 on the bench and got the diagnostics to work
Also make sure that the ECU is powering up because it might not have the same power supply/earth as the diagnostic socket