Xantia 2- 1.9TD Cutting Out 1998

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
My Xantia engine has just started suddenly cutting out. Stops like turning off a light switch. Then is a pig to get restarted. Would that be the fuel cut off switch on the pump, and why would it just start acting up.???
:shock:
Thanks,
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Have you ruled out air in the lines (including leak off pipes between injectors), blocked fuel filter, blocked mesh on the sender in the tank?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'd go for general fuel starvation as the cause Greg. It's hard to start because the pump has to suck up fuel and refill the pump. This may well be as a result of an air leak as Xac says.

Next time it happens, pump the priming bulb until it feels stiff and see if that aids a restart. If it does then it is fuel starvation. Also, watch the fuel flowing in the translucent fuel lines.

Favorites for the air leak possibility would be the priming bulb and the fuel filter housing, especially the fuel thermostat. Is there any diesel wetting around the white thing on the lower rear of the filter housing?

Your tank strainer may be blocked.

Is cold starting OK?

Citronut had a similar problem on his ages ago and that was caused by damp ingress into the pump immobilser causing the electronics to play up.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its cutting out while driving the first thing I would check/change is the fuel filter.

Peter
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

sounds very much like air in the fuel line to me, but check the above first.
the primer bulb will still go stiff temporarily even if youve got air seeping in through a pin hole this happend to me on my old BX.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

could the stop/start solenoid with an intermittent fault possibly a dodgy feed wire be a cause
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
Car ok now---now that I have drained £20 of petrol out of it, and put what is supposed to be in it. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Never done that before. What a dipstick.
Still, I can use the petrol in my mower and strimmer. :D
Smelt the petrol as soon as I removed fuel filter top. :shock:
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I remember we had a 106 in once that they were complaining was cutting out, same thing one whiff and the 'cause' was obvious :D

Did not seem to do it any damage (at least they never came back and complained) :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia 2- 1.9TD Cutting Out 1998

Post by CitroJim »

Gregg1100 wrote:Hi,
Car ok now---now that I have drained £20 of petrol out of it, and put what is supposed to be in it. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Oh Greg :shock: Easy done though.. Please al is now OK :D

Guess you'll be able to strim and mow for a whole year on £20-worth! At least you get to make use of the mis-fuel.

Winder what garages do with what they drain out under similar circumstances?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

We had a special small tank for it (mixed fuel I think it was labelled, going back a few years now) , the waste people used to take it away (the same way we had a tank for used coolant etc)

Not sure what they did with it to be honest...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

all that muckin about drainning it out for £20 worth of petrol in a 1998 non HDi fuel system you could have just added straight veg oil until the tank was full, she would have run ok to.

I put petrol in my filtered veg oil all the time as a combustion aid.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I remember getting a Peugeot 307 HDi loan car, all was well until i needed to go faster, it was coughing and spluttering. So i drove on a bit further and stopped. Thinking that its a loan car i smelt inside the fuel cap, it was petrol.

I chugged it back to the dealer who didnt seem too bothered, they then gave me a Kia Cerato (i wouldnt care but i didnt even put the fuel in and i got this as punishment!). When i went back to collect our car i asked about the 307, they just said, oh yes, really chugs like a good'en that doesnt it. :shock:

Thats why you never buy an ex loan car :lol:

Often though, unless the car is driven until it stops, there is no immediate damage. Though on these new high pressure diesels im not sure what problems misfueling could cause in the future.

A 1.9 Xantia should not think twice about it though, they dont build em like they used to!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10