C5 II 2.0 Ltr Turbo one for Wheeler maybe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cachaciero
My Cars:

C5 II 2.0 Ltr Turbo one for Wheeler maybe

Post by cachaciero »

The Mk II C5 has a modulated Turbo similar but different to the 2.2.
What I want to know is what is the "default" no vacuum regime of this unit.

The 2.2 for no vacuum defaults to an exhaust low /pressure /flow mode which is why it overboosts if there is a problem with the vacuum.

Is the 2.0 ltr the same or is the "logic" reversed i.e no vacuum equates to an exhaust hi pressure / flow mode in which case it would never overboost for vacuum failure just be sluggish at the bottom end.

cachaciero
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

Found this on another site, may be of some use.....

http://www.eurovan2.com/forum/attachmen ... filter.pdf
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

You have join and then login to access that document. Do you have another link for it?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

the 2.0 hdi with the vacuum controlled wastegate defaults to wastegate open (no boost) mode if there is no vacuum applied to the actuator.

On the 2.0 hdi, if the boost pressure sensor fails or has a wiring fault, then you will see full uncontrolled boost for a few seconds, then no boost, limited revs and limp home mode with the engine management light on until you restart the engine
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Im not sure on this one to be honest, is it the RHR engine ?

Top donkey thats certainly true of the older 2.0 HDi's fitted to the xantia & mk1 C5 etc, no vaccum = no boost but the 2.2 16v HDi works the opposite way, with no vaccum applied to the turbo it defaults to full boost. I think the newer 2.0 HDi on the Mk2 C5 that were talking about is more similar to the older 2.2 setup so it may well be the same. best way to check is with a mityvac gauge connected.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Yes I believe it is the RHR. To be honest this isn't mine I was trying to help some one else with a post 2005 C5. His problem was that the engine lacked any guts above 2000 rpm but would eventually get to 70 mph where it felt quite reasonable, he said that it felt like the turbo was not coming in.
It had been on a Lexia no fault codes and no warnings when driving.
Then the garage had decided that it was the Turbo control valve and it was changed, that didn't fix it and then they decided that a new Turbo was required so now he was some 2K in a hole and still no fix. At that point I got interested, well it's a challenge isn't it.:-)

Interestingly much of the controls on this engine are true end to end e.g. the Turbo actuator actually has a feedback pot so the ECU can actually read what the Turbo is modulated to unlike the 2.2 where the ECU modulates the control valve but actually has no way of knowing if the Turbo has changed or not except ultimately by changes in manifold pressure.

Any way it did occur to me that if the turbo worked the other way around to the 2.2 then with no vac it would be possible to get the symptoms as described and as under boost is a non damaging condition and probably a non poluting scenario as well the ECU wouldn't raise a fault code.

My guess is that the logic is reversed to the 2.2 that would be the same logic as in the earlier 2.0 except instead of the ECU driving the waste gate valve it drives the Turbo modulating valve. Now coming back to the earlier 2.0 and Top Donkeys description of turbo pressure sensor failure that makes sense but what indications do you get if the vacuum line just "drops off" the waste gate valve? I would put even money on nothing apart from lack of turbo boost.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC