Xantia TD Battery

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fox
My Cars:

Xantia TD Battery

Post by Fox »

A while back I had unexplainable cold start problems, replaced the plugs, etc etc no help. Charged the battery, problem cured. 3-4 days later, problem back. Charge battery, problem cured, etc etc.
So, I'm guessing I need a new battery.
The battery on the car has a Cold Start performance of 270 amps - I asked for a battery for a Xantia TD and this is what I was given 3-4 months ago when I changed it. I'm now starting to wonder if this is powerful enough. Is it, and if not, what do I need?
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

The battery on mine is 550 Cold Cranking Amps and 60 Ah rated. I believe that is the correct battery for the TD, certainly not had any starting troubles. Yours is not powerful enough, you've been given the wrong one I imagine.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

have a look at this thread. We all gave you loads of information last time and i doubt if the construction of lead acid batteries has changed much since then (It hasn't really changed since about 1850!)
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... ms=battery
jeremy
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Fox
Bought a 1998 1.9 TD a couple of months ago. It came with a 300 amp battery which did not seem to have much staying power so I bought a new one from the local auto-spares. Their index said 600 amp as standard and 680 amp heavy duty. Bought the 600 amp battery for £38 with a 3 year guarantee. Thing is that after having the heater plugs replaced the engine never gets cranked for more than a second anyway !
mark.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Mark - that's f@.... cheap for such a battery ???
Even a decent quality NoName battery rated 600Amp (coldstart crank) would be well past £100 in DK [xx(]
If you did not make typing errors, this means it's worth paying (huge I believe) p&p for DK ???
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

I forgot about that thread before :(
I feel silly now :(
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Anders!
You don't have to go further than Sweden to buy a starting battery for less than 400 SEK (that's 328 DKK to you). There's a MICRO at Löddeköping (centersyd) if you don't trust Biltema at Helsingborg (some of thier stuff is a bit dodgy, but thier batteries have 2 year warranty). The battery for my XM TD12 (66 amp/hr) came from Micro, cost 480 SEK, is garanteed for 3 years and has shown no signs of trouble at -30 C!
//NiSk
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Tx NiSk !
I certainly do'nt mind Biltema's products. They've a shop going near Copenhagen for about 2y's now, and last news I've heard are plans to open a 2. second shop in north of Jylland.
Only drawback is their postoffice pay on delivery terms. Way too expensive here in DK. Much cheaper to have a family member buy the stuff, and pay him to send the stuff over.
Their products are no different from the stuff we're used to here in DK sold at 2-3 times their prices.
Guess Biltema knows what kind of batteries goes in north of Sweden, if they want to sell anything at all [;)]
- I mean below -30degC for several days during wintertime are serious matters to anything on a car (tyres, oils, rubber seals etc.)
Prices on common spares are silently raising all the time here in DK. Guess they try reach the same INSANE price level on spares in Germany [}:)]
It's possible to buy common NoName 60Ah batteries at prices approx £30 here in DK, but these certainly give up the ghost first cold winter below -10, and generally do'nt last more than 2-3 y's, then they develop a short in at least 1 of the cells.