Black smoke

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Synergietom
My Cars:

Black smoke

Post by Synergietom »

Hi all any sugestions on what could be causing the black smoke coming from the exhaust of my 1.9 td synergie. Its only been happening since my battery whent flat and i had to get a push start which was caused by a dodgy immobiliser Which i have since managed to bodge with a switch.
I'm going to try some injecter cleaner today but to be honest i have a feeling that the turbo is playing up as it seems very sluggish in higher gears especially when going uphill. Any sugestions would be apreciated.
Yipee i have the xant lets i hope i keep her this time
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Don't forget the obvious things first before worrying. A dirty air filter will cause it to smoke and be down on power.

Dirty fuel filter also, although typically no power but no smoke.

It's worth you checking and changing these two cheap items as a basic 'start' first. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

..0r a collapsed air intake hose.
Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

Thanks guys am going to sevice the bus on saturday will keep you posted as to how i get on. I did check the air filter and to be honest it is black along with the engine oil so it needs to be done anyway.
Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

Just to update. I put a bottle of REDEX diesel system cleaner in the tank then topped up to half full ( recomended to fill to the brim but hey its a big tank ) lastnight and have done a few miles in it since then keeping the revs quite high to try and flush it through and allthough there is still a little smoke at first it does seem to clear so i think i can officially say its not the turbo but you never really know untill its completely cleared.
I was supposed to service the bus today but due to a lack of funds its had to put off till next week hopefully this should cure the lack of power problem will keep updating and thanks for the advice