noisy brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonupteabag
My Cars:

noisy brakes

Post by tonupteabag »

i have a weird noise coming from the o/s/f brake it happens when you brake from about 40mph it does it coasting as well as in gear the bearings have no play the bearings quiet and smooth it only does it when the brake is applied and only from the one corner its not pad wear they were replaced 7000mls ago along with new discs its not a stone in the shield or stuck in a pad it sounds like a wheel bearing but that has been ruled out as its just passed the mot and it was doing it before then, the brakes are spot on it flew through the brake test its just an annoying noise that i can't put my finger on any ideas anyone :?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I know exactly the noise you mean! My Activa does the same. A kind of whirring noise usually when braking at slowish speeds :roll:

I've looked closely and like you I can find no reason. I just put it down to the peculiarities of the particular pad and disc makeup.

My pads are soon in need of a change so it'll be interesting to see if the noise goes then.

I'd say nothing to worry about...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

hi jim
yep that sounds like it, i don't like any noises especially one i can't find the cause of, i think i'll wait aswell for the pad change and see what happens its just strange it only sounds like the one side though but like you say citroens are quirky cars its my first one so its a big steep learning curve from "normal" cars which i was taught mechanics on as most citroen owners used dedicated citroen garages :shock:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

tonupteabag wrote:hi jim
yep that sounds like it, i don't like any noises especially one i can't find the cause of, i think i'll wait aswell for the pad change and see what happens its just strange it only sounds like the one side though but like you say citroens are quirky cars its my first one so its a big steep learning curve from "normal" cars which i was taught mechanics on as most citroen owners used dedicated citroen garages :shock:
There's a reason for that - many garages won't touch Citroens - they are too difficult So they say anyway.

I'd sooner work on Citroens than anything else, they are just different, not more difficult. The quirkiness is the attraction, they do things differently for a reason - to make a better car! :shock:
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

myglaren wrote: I'd sooner work on Citroens than anything else, they are just different, not more difficult. The quirkiness is the attraction, they do things differently for a reason - to make a better car! :shock:
From my experience if anything they're easier to work on/repair :)
After all, you can renew the suspension on a Xantia/BX with a £15 home made tool. You can't do that with those curly metal things other cars have ;)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

My car has curly metal things and it is a Citroen!! :D
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Gammy leg wrote:My car has curly metal things and it is a Citroen!! :D
It's not a real Citroen :P
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Xac wrote:
Gammy leg wrote:My car has curly metal things and it is a Citroen!! :D
It's not a real Citroen :P
:D :D :D

Have to say that I did find the GS very much easier to work on that the standard tin boxes of the time.
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

well in all fairness i've slated citroens in the past as being cr#p but i bought mine of ebay for £27.50 with no t+t and its diesel after replacing the strut top, front suspension bushes, spheres and a full service with timing belt kit its done 12mths just passed another mot with no work required and it probably stands me all told at about £250 now hows that for cheap motoring and now i have to take back everything i've ever said about them :shock: :shock: :shock:
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

CitroJim wrote:I know exactly the noise you mean! My Activa does the same. A kind of whirring noise usually when braking at slowish speeds :roll:

I've looked closely and like you I can find no reason. I just put it down to the peculiarities of the particular pad and disc makeup.

My pads are soon in need of a change so it'll be interesting to see if the noise goes then.

I'd say nothing to worry about...
Jim if the front caliper isnt binding on slightly as they tend to when they start to sieze which ate through my inner pad on the NSF of mine within 3 months, then couldnt the noise be slight wear on one of the driveshaft ends accentuated by the load placed on it when braking? That would whirr and not be noticeable.....?
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

are either of your disc's discoloured (not clean, bright and shinny),

or is there any lip even slight on any of the edges of the disc's,

regards malcolm
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

no there isn't any lip that was my thought but they haven't done many miles the disc is clean no rust on the faces the pads are pressing square on the discs theres no ridges in the braking face of the discs the pads look to be wearing evenly both sides and the brake effort is balanced with less than 1% difference according to the brake tester
the handbrake is also within 1% balanced effort so i don't think the calipers are starting to seize there was a 3% imbalance on the rear brakes though but they are not adversely affected by this but its a long shot if the braking system is dual circuit then the n/s/rear is lined with the o/s front now the imbalance on the rear was from the n/s rear could this have an effect on the corresponding front?