the egs gearbox

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paddywac
My Cars:

the egs gearbox

Post by paddywac »

hi i am a newbie to the forum and i would like a piece of advice,i am thinking of changing to a c4 picasso,i have heard a lot of different viewpoints re the egs gearbox in this model so i am asking for opinions on this forum......is the egs good,bad,or indifferent thanks in advance. :wink:
dannyboy
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The best thing you can do is drive it for yourslef, it's not like a normal autobox, its a normal manual gearbox where the gears & clutch are operated by electric & hydraulic auctuators, if your used to a normal auto it will be a bit of a change the gearchanges are not as smooth. It is much better than the sensodrive box fitted to the C3/C2 though.
paddywac
My Cars:

Post by paddywac »

thanks wheeler,good advice i have heard more pros and cons about this box i think i will organise a test drive. :wink:
dannyboy
jcgrant1980
New User
My Cars: Outlander 2.2
C4 Cactus

Re: the egs gearbox

Post by jcgrant1980 »

This is a old post and apologies to bring up the thread. Looking at a 3008 today with the egc box.

Reason for post I had a C4 grand picasso and the actuator broke but luckily under warranty but I'm getting a little concerned having another gear box like this but i like the car. I'm changing out my Cactus because the seats give me terrible back ache so need something comfier as I do 60 mile's a day.

The 3008 is a 2012 model on only 21000 miles and very clean coming from a Peogeot dealer.

What should I look out for? Are these gear box's reliable?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

They're all reliable until they go wrong. They are essentially a manual gearbox and clutch, but have hydraulic actuators to operate the clutching and gear changes for you. Personally, having driven a few of these and seen all the horror stories, I would never actually buy one. Manual or a proper automatic with a torque converter is the way to go, but each to their own. There are plenty of threads here about the EGS system:

I've posted a detailed description with typical components a few posts down this thread for more info:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58887&hilit=EGS

and here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62373&p=606077&hilit=EGS#p606077

And a member with a series of videos on changing the clutch and gearbox here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61384&hilit=EGS
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Having been a passenger in one of these (Peu 5008) for some lengthy journeys in France last Christmas, I found the ride somewhat unrefined, with delayed and oddly prolonged gear changes. Even the owners weren't over the moon about it.
Agree about the recommendation to go for a classic torque converter auto instead.
Repair costs look astronomic.
Chris
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Im a guy who owned a c2 sensodrive and despite a immaculate service history it was a horrid drive and broke resulting in a repair bill which was more than the car cost. I swore I would only buy a manual or proper full torque convertor and kill all semi automatic gearboxed cars with fire. Then I bought a seat leon dsg, which is vw's semi automatic gearbox, in its second incernation. Early ones the clutch plates ran in the gearbox oil and needed the oil changed every 40k. The second generation 7 speed I have has dry clutches and no need to change gearbox oil and filter, altbough its on 66k now and I have bought oil and filter for tje box to change it anyway. However the point of this post is to say, and I feel bad telling a citroen owner this, go try a seat leon 1.6 crd with the dsg box. Its millions of miles ahead of the french semi autos in gearbox performance, my dsg runs rings round my daughters manual with the same engine. And I have a real bad back and leg, and classed disabled and the leon is surprisingly comfortable, much better than the rock hard golf its based on.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
crapday69
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 eHDi VTR+NAV

Post by crapday69 »

daviemck2006 wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 23:46 Im a guy who owned a c2 sensodrive and despite a immaculate service history it was a horrid drive and broke resulting in a repair bill which was more than the car cost. I swore I would only buy a manual or proper full torque convertor and kill all semi automatic gearboxed cars with fire. Then I bought a seat leon dsg, which is vw's semi automatic gearbox, in its second incernation. Early ones the clutch plates ran in the gearbox oil and needed the oil changed every 40k. The second generation 7 speed I have has dry clutches and no need to change gearbox oil and filter, altbough its on 66k now and I have bought oil and filter for tje box to change it anyway. However the point of this post is to say, and I feel bad telling a citroen owner this, go try a seat leon 1.6 crd with the dsg box. Its millions of miles ahead of the french semi autos in gearbox performance, my dsg runs rings round my daughters manual with the same engine. And I have a real bad back and leg, and classed disabled and the leon is surprisingly comfortable, much better than the rock hard golf its based on.

Both my C4 and now C5 have the EGS and I find it a perfectly acceptable (actually really like it) gearbox with perfect gear changes. TBH I have just hired a brand now 2008 manual and was so glad to get back to my C5 with its EGS gearbox. The only problem I have ever encountered is that sometimes it doesn't know whether to stay in first or change to second at a junction. My wife has a 17 plate Merc GLA with proper auto box and it is good but I prefer driving my C5 to her GLA. I would love C5 exclusive and might treat my self one day.

Gary.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's good to get another opinion from an owner Gary. It's probably great when it's working (like anything), but when they do start to go, they can be a pig and very costly to repair. I think Renegade spent £ks on repairing his on the C5 X7. Just something to watch out for though.

Marc
crapday69
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 eHDi VTR+NAV

Post by crapday69 »

I totally understand Marc and I know they cost a fortune to get fixed and you never know what's around the corner. I'd also hate for someone to buy one on my reviews only for it to go wrong. Is it the only automatic if you want a C5 X7 ?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No the C5 X7 was available with a fully Auto AM6 box from Aisin. Generally very reliable, but ignore the 'sealed for life' claims on the gearbox oil. Changing the gearbox oil over 3 intervals (as it cannot all be changed in one go) will hep ensure that it remains working in tip top condition. Very few reliability issues I'm aware of and plenty of X7 owners with this box here.

Marc
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 19:45 No the C5 X7 was available with a fully Auto AM6 box from Aisin. Generally very reliable, but ignore the 'sealed for life' claims on the gearbox oil. Changing the gearbox oil over 3 intervals (as it cannot all be changed in one go) will hep ensure that it remains working in tip top condition. Very few reliability issues I'm aware of and plenty of X7 owners with this box here.

Agree, however, my AM6 box had its first oil change after almost 59,000 miles and another at 72.300 miles (as per signature) which I feel may have been a bit late, even though the gearchange is mostly smooth, I do get a slight hessitancy when changing from 2nd to 3rd which is probably the valve block, approx £500 + fitting. But other than that small issue I have, I think other members have mentioed teh same, the AM6 box is really nice to drive .
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi