206 Handbrake Cable Adjustment?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gammy leg
My Cars:

206 Handbrake Cable Adjustment?

Post by Gammy leg »

Chaps,

Is there a way to manually adjust the handbrake cable(s) on a 2003, 1.4 206?. I've just changed the rear shoes as the both linings on one side had detached themselves from the shoes. One self adjuster has broken and the other one won't self-adjust for some reason. I haven't managed to master the art of adjusting with a screwdriver through the wheel nut hole in the drum yet.

Thanks

Gammy
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Adjusting them up via the hole in the drum is the best way and the way I used to do it.

Regarding the cable, ideally you need to set the handbrake cable adjustment before the drums are on, so you have it without slack but not pulling on the handbrake lever.

The adjusters, yes I know what you mean, the little clip does do a disappearing act very easily unfortunately, however it may be possible to wind the 'cog' via the drum hole, bear in mind without the clip it will unwind itself over time, not really recommended to be honest.

To actually adjust them, you need an assistant to have the footbrake on while you click them up through the bolt hole. Then they release the brake you tap the drum with a rubber mallet to re-seat it and try it, ideally aiming just before the fractional rubbing. Difficult to explain.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

Thanks Andy, I get the jist of what your saying. Never thought of getting someone to press the brake pedal whilst adjusting the ring though. It definitely would be much easier to turn when partially engaged.

Cheers mate

Gammy
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

You 'need' the pedal depressed to adjust them properly that way ;) , well need is not really the correct word, you can do them without but its a struggle (with the brakes depressed, the loading is taken off the adjuster bar so you can turn it a LOT easier)

What I used to do was look through the bolt hole so I knew where the correct place was to have the drum.

Then get someone to hold the brake pedal on, take the adjusters up (with the brake pedal depressed, its also possible to loosen them too) until I felt resistance then back them off a fraction. Then as above (tap the drum with a rubber mallet and see its free) , then go and do the other side, then come back and check them both again.

Not difficult really, only difficult to explain, if you saw me do this you'd see (no pun intended) :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

firstly do not mix the N/S and O/S adjusters up as they are handed, one has a left hand thread, the other is a right hand thread,

if fitted the wrong sides they wiill unadjust in normal use,

and never unadjust them through the hole in the drum, because there is no way you can release the ratchet locking blade at the same time. so you will cause damage windding it backwards against this locking blade,

i never adjust them up through a hole in the drum, i firstly clean/grind any lip on the edge of the working surface of the drum away, make sure the cables are adjusted fully off, make sure the tinny stainless steel ratchet locking blade is still in place (if its missing its about 50ish quid to replace from dealer only in a kit for both sides),

once you have removed the lip/s manualy adjust the shoes till you can only just get the drum over them (but not to tight,

then i think the cable adjustmunt is under the centre consoul between the front seats, more or less under the rear ash tray (usualy a 13mm nut)

regards malcolm
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

Cheers Malcolm & Andy

Yes, one of the stainless adjusters has gone walkabout and the other isn't doing what it should, hence the need to manually adjust. Good to hear that there is an adjuster nut for the handbrake though, I'll take a look when I get a chance. The handbrake is fully engaged on the 7th notch of the ratchet but I would like to set it between 4 & 6 which I think is what is recomended.

I have seen a pair of self adjusters on eBay for £12 so I may be getting some soon.

Gammy