Wandering, clunks and judder!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JamieB

Wandering, clunks and judder!

Post by JamieB »

Hi- I know this is a Citroen section, but the Peugeot forum seems a bit dead! I'm having a bit of a problem with my 1995 306 [:(]
The car has started to wander a little at low speeds (ie less then 20mph) and I can hear a definite clunk from the front of the car. The steering wheel vibrates a little, and if I brake from say 40mph to a stop, there is a juddering through the steering wheel, and a clunking sound. I have had <b>all</b> the suspension bushes changed, and the discs, pads and drums are fine.
A garage nearby had a look at the track-rod-ends, wishbones etc and found nothing wrong. They said there was slight play in the steering rack, but nothing major. I have fitted gti-6 shocks and springs which are quite new (2-3 years old). The tyres etc are all fine too. Anyone know what it could be? Cheers, Jamie
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Common topic here on the 306 [:)]
try read this discussion :
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=2973
JamieB

Post by JamieB »

Someone suggested it may be worn drop-links? Does this sound plausable? Are they difficult (ie expensive!) to replace? Cheers, J
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Jamie -
Not knowing the 306 droplink setup, I'd certainly suspect these.
Can be noise buggers on any car fitted with.
Usually they are priced very fair, like brake wear parts.
Problems replacing involves rusty/seized balljoint nuts, mostly these can simply be cut with an anglegrinder.
A known remedy is to refill the actual balljoints with grease, using an injection needle penetrating the small bellows. After a couple of days driving the balljoints greases up, and silences. This of course wo'nt heal a joint with slack.