2001 406 hdi 90

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kaostheory
My Cars:

2001 406 hdi 90

Post by kaostheory »

Hi all,

After my 406 hdi recently gave up on me it has been sat on my drive for a couple of months waiting to go to that big old scrap yard in the sky. Last week i decided i couldn't bear to part with the old girl so i went about remediating the fault i had with the fuel pressure regulator ( removed and cleaned it) All went well with that and engine is running beautifully. However upon taking it for a long test drive i have noticed a few other issues which i didnt notice before.

1. The gear lever and car is shaking quite badly on acceleration but is accelerating smoothly.

2. There is an awful smell of fish and the windscreen steams up really easily.

3. The fans have stopped working

Anyone have any suggestions as to whats going on?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

2. Sounds like your heater matrix is leaking :(

3. Could be related to (2) if you meant the heater fan, if you mean the radiator fans check fuses and the three relays fitted under the grille (caution: disconnect battery before going near as they are permanently live, fingers + fans = not good)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

Thanks for the reply.

Is there anyway of repairing the heater matrix cheaply rather than repairing?

The car has 265k on it so not looking to spend too much money on it just going to keep it for the wife to use when i work away.

Rhys
spider

Post by spider »

There are "treatments" you can pour into your coolant system to stem the flow (as it were) although I've never used any myself, so cannot really say how well they will work.

Have a quick look in the Citroen forum as I recall heater matrix problems have been discussed recently (although someone will probably reply to this topic soon anyway) :)
Andy.

kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

Found a thread suggesting forte stop leak is that the one you were referring to? I will get some and give it a go when i find somewhere that stocks it...

Thanks for the help.

Anyone any ideas on problemo numero uno?

Rhys
kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

As a side note when i cleaned up the pressure regulator i had to remove a few of the coolant pipes and the coolant was rusty orange. what does this mean and is there anything i can do to help that? should i do a complete flush with new coolant?

Rhys
spider

Post by spider »

I'm not sure regarding (1) , unless it was the gear linkages themselves, although you say it accelerates smoothly. :?:

Coolant should not be rusty ;) , drain flush and refill :)
Andy.

kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

Bit of bad explaining and wrong words used there. I mean there is no loss in acceleration/power but the whole car shakes quite violently.

My uneducated guess would be an engine mount or support of some kind but dont know how to check this at the moment.

I have just drained the coolant and flushed through a few times with tap water and refilled with 50/50 coolant/distilled water and forte stop leak. See where that gets me.

The fans(heater) have a wire coming from the unit and is melted so will need to replace that at some point.

Apart from that a good wash and hoover is in order!!!