Xantia rear ABS sensor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

firstrebel
My Cars:

Xantia rear ABS sensor

Post by firstrebel »

Did a quick search and could not find any info on this so I hope I am not duplicating.

The rear o/s ABS sensor had gone on my 1997 Xantia SX TD. I read up in TBOL on how to do it. Simplz. Eh!! Non!!!!

First off the old sensor was well and truly stuck in, so I had to take the disc off to attack it from that side. I had to annihilate it to get it out, even then the tin/ali body was still in, but a bit more brute force got it out.

Now to the thing with the string. TBOL states you should tie a piece of string around the connector at the other end on the sensor cable where it plugs into the loom connector. Yea, right. You need small hands. Mine are smaller now by a few layers of skin.

Then, the book says, you just pull the old cable through, and the string will be used to pull the new cable through. Yea, right!!

First issue is the grommet on the sensor cable, which has hardened with age and dirt. The gap it needs to get through is pretty small, so lots of PlusGas as a lubricant, and a long screw driver to coax it through the hole and round the curved gap by the trailing arm.

Next issue was that some bright spark in the production plant had put a cable tie around the sensor cable connector and loom connector. Well done!! Age and dirt had made it brittle so I was able to break it with a long screwdriver.

Next issue was the connector at the end of the sensor cable - getting it around the small curved gap between the trailing arm and surround (at least I think it is the trailing arm). That took some time.

Eventually it was all out.

Using the string to pull the new one through was not easy, in fact I gave up. There was no way I could get the long connector through the small curved gap.

Plan B, always have one.

I routed the cable through the arm alongside the brake pipe and then up to the loom connector. I used cable ties to secure the cable and allowed for movement.

Job done.

The ABS dash light went out when I took the car out for a drive, and fingers crossed it will stay off, at least until after the MOT in a few weeks.

It is a lot easier if you don’t bother taking the old cable out, just cut it. If you do want to follow TBOL then use nylon string not ordinary string as it will just keep snapping.

Bob
Robert Isaac

1997 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate. 152000 miles
1995 Volvo 855 T5 Auto - Chipped. 186000 miles
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Would be worth adding your experiences to the 'Rear ABS sensor replacement' thread in the Handy Hints section :wink:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The BOL, well, disregard most of its prcedure! They work on a 2 year old car with hardly any miles or rust on them..

You can also drop the subframe on the appropiate side to get at the cables above the subframe! This then makes it even easyer!

No need to disconnect the exhaust, or cross bar, just have the car supported, jack under the subframe, undo TWO 18mm bolts, lower the frame on the jack, and there in front of you ooodles of access the the upper side of the frame and ABS sensor leads!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto