Xantia Head Gasket - Can't remove turbo.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mbunting
My Cars:

Xantia Head Gasket - Can't remove turbo.

Post by mbunting »

1.9TD Mk1 ( for the benefit of Fox ! )
Hello all, me again.
Having great trouble accessing the two lower bolts which secure the turbo to the exhaust manifold [:I].
The oil feed / return pipes, and the upper bolt are disconnected, as is the exhaust ( at the spring loaded bolts ), and the output pipe.
The problem is of physical access to the bolt heads, my sockets will fit, but access is difficult ( on stands ). I've tried with the engine lowered / raised [:(!][:(!], but there is not enough room to get my arms to position the socket. ( I've moved the manifold out a little ).
My question is..
Given sufficient manpower ( two of us ), and all other steps being done, would it be feasible to lift the head off, complete with exhaust manifold and turbo ( making sure it's all supported and not stressing things ).
Failing that, any tips would be welcome [:)].
Jon

Post by Jon »

No problem, last 2 1.9TD head jobs I've done (albeit on ZX's) I left the turbo bolted to the head, made sure everything else was undone, and 2 of us lifted the head off complete.
I assume the same applies to the Xantia as its the same engine.
You may have to move the engine forward a bit on the mounts to clear the bulkhead with the turbo though.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Cheers Jon, you've just cheered me up.
Found out this evening that the hotel our wedding is at later this year still have construction works, and they're not likely to be finished before 2004.
Stressful times !
Mat.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The awkward part isn't getting it off with turbo still attached, its getting the bugger back without nudging the gasket out of position on the block or knocking crap down onto it.
Dave
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I plan to take the lot off in one go, and attack the bolts once out.
When doing these jobs, I often think about taking a machine gun to the engine design team, you can tell they have share options in the dealer franchises !