Spheres and stuff

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davewithington
My Cars:

Spheres and stuff

Post by davewithington »

Just bit the bullet and ordered a set of six spheres and Hydraflush from Pleiades. I'm going for normal VSX spheres, as I have this mission to restore the suspension to what it should be, with full Hydractive action, so new spheres, flush out, then start to change/ repair from a known base - I chaged the accumulator sphere before Christmas.

Should be a photo or two of the beast if I've done the posting properly - I've always had problems before.

[/img]
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD VSX Mk1 Sinker A.K.A Slugmobile 13'
'Old Katy'
previous convictions: totaling 52litres of LHM in one go:
1968 ID19B 'Old Polly' Stellar white
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker Silver
1992 XM 2.0 SEi Turbo Manual Anthracite Grey
1982 CX 20 Pallas 'Old Goldy'
1993 XM 2.1 SD Auto Light blue
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker light Blue
1982 BX 16 TRS 'Cyril' Vallelunga Red
1995 Xantia 1.9 D SX Auto Dark green
1977 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Aphrodite' Regatta Blue
1982 GSA Pallas SE Silver Pearl
1980 CX 2000 Reflex Vallelunga Red
1978 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Prometheus' Midnight blue
1984 BX 14E 'Cecil the slugmobile' Maroon
1987 Fiat Panda 'the mighty panda'

Post by aerodynamica »

Nice! Mk1 VSX - my fave Xantia
Graeme M
2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi
arkweld
My Cars: Xantia Activa

Post by arkweld »

Yeah , i had a VSX in white , really liked the clean interior dash and open feel with the sunroof , I got rid of it because the brake warning light stayed on , this was before a search and solve way of doing things was applied .
Do you think rejuvenated original spheres (unless there completely skuzzy)is a better way to go than new aftermarket ?
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
'Old Katy'

Post by aerodynamica »

arkweld wrote:Yeah , i had a VSX in white , really liked the clean interior dash and open feel with the sunroof , I got rid of it because the brake warning light stayed on , this was before a search and solve way of doing things was applied .
Do you think rejuvenated original spheres (unless there completely skuzzy)is a better way to go than new aftermarket ?
Recharged spheres? well, increasingly it's harder to find places that recharge them but if you have genuine Citroen spheres then recharging them is like having a new set of Cit items but for mega cheap. Of course, you need to take care that it's done correctly (cleaning the area around the filler keenly) and to the right pressure for fronts or rears for the particular model in question.

I've had nothing but good experience with recharged spheres on my CX and former BX - 3 years after the CX fronts were done they are still plush.
Graeme M
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

When my land Rover died quite spectacularly last November - lots of banging noises and smoke - I needed something quickly, and this car presented itself. Liked the look, the mileage (105,000) and the price (£350) so I bought it, fetched it from Wigan the same evening. After some thought I'm going the original route. make it work properly, keep it forever, or until I don't drive anymore, would could be 10 to 20 years.

I'll probably need a replacement accumulator, as the present one emits a noise like, sort of a cross between a rattlesnake and throat clearing, so see what happens when the Hydraflush has been in a few miles.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

davewithington wrote: I'll probably need a replacement accumulator, as the present one emits a noise like, sort of a cross between a rattlesnake and throat clearing,
How often does it make this noise Dave?

Some pumps make this noise when they're activly pumping and it goes with the regulator tick.

Regulator cuts in and the pump makes a noise like a little machine-gun for a second or two until the regulator cuts out. Provided the noise is there only for a second or two and spaced at least 30s apart at idle, no worries..

Any less certainly suggests the accumulator needs replacement.

Did you get just the corners and centres? What about the anti-sink sphere?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

Unfortunately Citrojim it's about every 20 seconds, so I'll investigate further after spheres. Certainly could do with them on the back so I'll change the lot, know where I am then.

There seems to be an issue with fluid pressure, the back end sits down almost as soon as the engine is switched off, but things could be a bit sticky in there. All symptoms are worse in freezing weather, so I reckon the fluid's a bit old and thick as well.
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Hi Dave thats one good looking Xantia you have there.....I always liked white Xantias and series 1's with the chevrons on the bonnet :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
'Old Katy'

Post by aerodynamica »

CitroJim wrote:
davewithington wrote: I'll probably need a replacement accumulator, as the present one emits a noise like, sort of a cross between a rattlesnake and throat clearing,
How often does it make this noise Dave?

Some pumps make this noise when they're activly pumping and it goes with the regulator tick.

Regulator cuts in and the pump makes a noise like a little machine-gun for a second or two until the regulator cuts out. Provided the noise is there only for a second or two and spaced at least 30s apart at idle, no worries..

Any less certainly suggests the accumulator needs replacement.

Did you get just the corners and centres? What about the anti-sink sphere?
Jim! this Xant ain't got no anti sink :wink:

Also, this being a Mark 1 Xantia means it will use an FDV valve in addition to the accumulator and pressure regulator. The FDV emits a very audible SHHHHHH noise at times such as when the engine is running and you press the brakes. So this can be mistaken for a fault at times.
Graeme M
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
'Old Katy'

Post by aerodynamica »

Also Dave, I know you're hanging onto it but if you ever tire of this Xant give me a bell! I'd love to own one of the old Mk1s again!
Graeme M
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

Had the spheres and Hydraflush yesterday, and had a few minutes spare this afternoon so thought I'd see how far I got on the sphere change. Did all three rears in about 30 minutes, the two fronts were a doddlwe, but the third sphere, mounted behind the radiator..... that it going to be a pain, I just know it. I can get the removal tool (Pleiades own) onto the sphere OK, but the mounting bracket for the valve is a bit floppy, so I can't get enough welly on the tool to undo the sphere. Looks like I'll have to remove the valve to change the sphere unless I can just sprag the bracket enough to get that initial loosening.

Amazing result though. Haven't actually dribven it yet, but the back end now stays up, not flumping down really quickly, so I'm hoping the beast will rise from his slumbers quicker.

Next weekend - fluid change
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I know your problem well Dave as I had the same issue on my Activa project. The centre Hydractive was both flat and had never been off in the life of the car.

A floppy bracket means most of the work you put into shifting the sphere goes into flexing the bracket.

There is a simple answer. A big cold chisel and punch. Raise a ridge on the weld around the sphere using a cold chisel and then use a long punch against the ridge and large club hammer to shock the sphere loose.

It really does work like a charm...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

I will try that Jim - I've got a lovely long cold chisel on the shelf.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Just mind the rad Dave :twisted:
Jim

davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

It was the presence of the rad which stopped me getting creative with my crowbar