Snatchy accelerator on my Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Snatchy accelerator on my Xantia

Post by hirsty »

My xantia has started jerking when backing off/ accelerating. Is this likeley to be a soggy engine mount or a throttle cable issue? At all other times it runs smoothly. :?
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Is it just a jerk or can you feel a misfire?

A jerk is indicative of engine mounts, especially the lower donut mount. These can go soft through oil contamination.

You can tell how good it is by trying to rock the engine by grabbing hold of the cam cover (or other stout item at the top of the engine) and trying to rock it to and fro. It should be hard to do this...

Another oft cause is a broken bush in the top mount torque reaction link if your engine has one. This is a link that goes from the top RH engine mount to the inner wing and has a rubber donut bush at each end. The smaller of these two break and cause the engine to rock.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I'd go along with the lower round mounting too, as they seem to get coated in oil. If this is weak, you will have a bit of 'shunting' as it will allow the engine to rock slightly. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

Definitely not a miss-fire. Will check out the lower mount. Thanks for the quick replies :D :D

Keith
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.