406 HDI is shredding new Cambelt

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sean128

406 HDI is shredding new Cambelt

Post by Sean128 »

Short version... Changed cam belt, ran engine, new belt is fraying on the outer edge (furthest from the block).

A little more detail...
The car in question is my 2001, 406 2.0 HDI and I was running the engine at a fast idle for a bit, bleeding the coolant.
The old belt looked OK, no fraying. I also changed the water pump and the tensioner today and I have recently changed the fan belt and crank pulley.
While turning the engine by hand during tensioning of the new belt, I noticed it was shifting from the centre of the sprockets to slightly over the outer edge. I re-centred it and all seemed well on subsequent turns by hand, so I continued putting everything back together. Car started and idled fine, I then ran it at a fast idle for a while during the coolant bleeding process. just before I closed the bonnet I thought I'd check the belt and it appears to be wanting to ride off the sprockets again as the outer edge is frayed (from rubbing on the casing?)

As far as I can see there's nothing untoward with the casing itself or the teeth on the sprockets or the new belt prior to fitting. Only thing I can think may be to blame is the belt's tension.
The Autodata timing belt book and the Haynes recommend using an electronic tension gauge, which I don't have, but have used the method for tensioning without an electronic tension gauge and the tension feels the same as the tension on the old belt prior to removal.

I've searched the forum but can't find anything similar, has anyone here had the same problem or have any useful advice?

Thanks,
Sean