xsara radio antenna (+ mobile phone ??)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fred

xsara radio antenna (+ mobile phone ??)

Post by fred »

Does anybody know if the antenna of a 2003 Xsara can be used for radio and
mobile phone reception ? And how do you connect it ? Is there something to
put between the antenna and the radio, because I didn't find a spare
connector, or is it simply impossible.
I would think it's possible because the antenna consists of the antenna and
then some kind of extra wire that curves around the antenna (I hope my
explanation is clear enough to understand what I mean).
One last question : I heard somebody say that the original HU supplies 10 Volt to the antenna, is that thru and what's the purpose ?
Thanks,
Frederik
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Fred -
In general any car radio antenna is solely optimised for radio reception.
Y's ago, it was common to mix 27MhzCB & radio on the same antenna, which worked fine.
Modern Cellular (mobile) phones employs way higher transmision frequencies, which prohibits satisfactory reception on cellular/radio mixed usage on same antenna.
Try shop around for auxillary equipment for your phone. Lot's of small discrete cellular phone antennas are available, with very easy installation not requiring drilling/screwing in the car chassis. Usually they are low cost to suit the need for replacement on theft/nick.
You simply need an antenna that suits your phone's system and your own personal taste of fitting. A special antenna adaptor for your particular phone make & model is necessary. These adaptors often includes/provides handsfree & external antenna fitting in one go.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the power to the antenna is because the base is a kind of amplifier for reception.if you look at the connectors on the antenna wires there is 3 connectors + the power wire,on different models these are for sat nav & mobile use as well as radio.you would have to check with citroen parts to see if there is an aftermarket kit availible.the new C8 top spec model radio is also a built in mobile phone & sat nav system which all use the same antenna.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

[8D] Quality answer Wheeler ! [8D]
Thanks !
corkymills
My Cars:

Post by corkymills »

Hi Fred,I thought a visit to andyspares would sort you out.......all the best......steve.....citroen newsgroups............