2 Stroke oil in diesel

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevenlizuk
My Cars:

2 Stroke oil in diesel

Post by stevenlizuk »

Hi all,
I've started a thread on the 406 Owners Club forum that has turned into a bit of a monster so thought it might be interesting to see how it rolled here.

Has anyone added 2 stroke oil to their fuel in the past and if so can you elaborate as to how it effected the performance of your car if at all?

At this point I have just started adding this to my fuel in my old bus and so far the results have been only beneficial with reduced smoke under load and a quieter (less rattly sounding) engine.

Any input from this?

Cheers
Steve
98 406 Estate LX 2.1td in white (Anyone call Ghostbusters?)

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
1981 Mini HL (Just happy to be around)
hammerong
My Cars:

Post by hammerong »

I put castrol in my cars cos it smells nice, it has no other effect so far as I can tell apart from leaving deposits in the combustion chamber.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I would of thought adding 2-stroke oil to the fuel would cause 'more' smoking (simply as two stroke engines do by their very nature smoke)

Obviously I was wrong :lol:
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

2 stroke oil binds into the diesel in some sort of molecular way, i forget how exactly, but its beneficial and i have only ever seen reduced emissions each mot time and a quieter engine,

2 stroke oil is designed to be burnt in an engine whereas 4 stroke oil isnt which is why you will get more smoke with all oils other than 2 stroke when its added into the fuel
hammerong
My Cars:

Post by hammerong »

If your 2-stoke smokes you got too much oil. Mine only ever smoked when cold.
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

2000 miles since I started adding the oil and the car is definitely less smoky.
Mot in 2 months so will compare emissions results to last years for a definitive answer.
All good so far though.

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
OF.uk
My Cars:

Post by OF.uk »

What ratio do you use?
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

If anything too much, about 500ml to a tank.
It wont do the motor any harm I just can be bothered with the mess of measuring it any closer and comes in a handy two dose bottle!

TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

Thats exactly how much i use too !, half a litre per full fillup, that puts the mix ratio at about 140:1 which i think it about perfect when you consider that 2 stroke engines use anything from 50:1 to 100:1 usually, and you are only using the oil to 'top up' the diesels lubricity really, so it doesnt need as much as a 2 stroke would