Peugeot 406 1.9TD which engine? no power! help!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

a4gom
My Cars:

Peugeot 406 1.9TD which engine? no power! help!

Post by a4gom »

Hi picked up a 406 estate the other week and i'm a bit dissapointed with the power compared with my previous xantia estate and my wifes xsara. They are all of a similar age, 1.9TD, I'm pretty sure the engine is sound, did they make different versions of the 1.9 with different power outputs?
When I'm just tickling round town its fine once I'm rolling but it lacks the get up and go from a standing start and on our first decent trip out in it yeterday it struggled acceleration wise to keep up with the convoy, once its up to speed its fine. It also seems to be lacking a bit of guts at the top end.
I'm not that up on desel engines, what to check or how to set things up pump, turbo etc.
It feels like its possible the turbo thats not kicking in soon enough? or maybe at all? How can I check.
I appreciate its an estate and probably packing a few more pounds than my xsara but the xsara would tow this faster than it will go under its own steam.

Any advice on what I can check, what it could be would be gratefully received, I bought this to tow my race car to events but I'm not sure now if its up to the job :( .
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Without having one to hand to check:

There's a rubber pipe between the fuel pump and the inlet manifold, if there's anything wrong with this you will have a loss of power as this controls the fuelling under boost. Check it carefully for splits / cracks etc.

Replace fuel + air filter too (fuel filter especially can cause lack of power if dirty, air filter more likely to cause smoke as well) :)

Less likely causes are blocked (partially) exhausts (cat broken up possibly) or EGR problems, although not that likely as you'd have running issues if the EGR was playing up in most cases.

EDIT... Check large rubber air pipes too / from intercooler too and elsewhere then can pop off if they have not been properly fixed on and its a pain sometimes to get the clips right.

Few things for you to check anyway.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

If it's anything like the 405, you should feel a distinct pickup at around 2,200rpm as the turbo spools up. If not, you could be leaking boost somewhere. Check all the connectors and seals. You could even tee in a boost gauge into the pipe coming off the top of the fuel pump. A standard engine should be 13psi peak boost at about 3,000rpm under full load.

Another possible cause might be air ingress to the fuel line. Fit a section of transparent line right before the injector pump, then watch for air bubbles passing.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

Thanks for the reply Andy, just done the fuel and air filters, haven't had chance to take it for a run yet, fuel filter looked a bit ditrty but I've seen worse.
I'll go have a look at the pipes.
Just browsing it looks as though I'm not getting max movement at the pump end when my foots on the boards, i.e. I can probably twist the spindle another 1/2" by hand. doesn't look like I can alter much in the cockpit but it looks like I could adjust the position the cable fastens to the pump spindle to give more movement i.e. move the fixing away from the spindle centre, god thats hard to explain probably gobledygook!
Not sure if making this adjustment will change anything else??
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

HAve you checked the throttle cable adjustment? I had a similar issue after a Pug dealer fitted a new cable for me - they hadn't bothered to adjust it properly and there was slack in the cable which obviously prevented power being available.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Always worth checking and changing filters, good to hear you've just done them.

I know what you mean on the acc cable, the plastic outside "thread" (sort of) and a "u" clip. Take it up a bit yes, but make sure you're not going to strain it if you stand on the pedal. :)

I'm working from memory I'll admit but that should make sense. :)

My 205 has the Lucas pump, regarding that vacuum (sort of) pipe, however the Bosch pump you will almost certainly have on your 406 will have something similar (in that it needs to "sense" the pressure to determine the fuel delivery under boost) , I know as mine fell off :D and it was worse than a normally aspirated one, you could hear the turbo but nothing happened.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

had a look round the pipework, all seemed ok with the exception of one small hose, couldn't see where it connected but it was similar size to the drain off hose on the injectors 7mm ish, its dry and in the centre of the bulkhead behind the engine. there were two pipes connecting to a plastig t-piece with a cap on the t, one of the pipes had a cut in it. I've made that good and will be taking the car out for a run shortly so will post up if there is anychange.
a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

Been out for a short run with the family and it does seem better than yesterday but I still feel it could be better.
I need to look at the accelerator as its definately not getting full throttle.