Lexia Vista ARGHH

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

davetherave
My Cars:

Lexia Vista ARGHH

Post by davetherave »

I bought a chinese lexia very reasonably priced and have spent the whole day trying to set it up on my vista pc.
I went with Jims idea of using virtual machine, but sadly after installing Xp and Lexia i have found it does not support USB!
Anyone have any ideas how to get usb support in virtual machine?
Dave
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

I have used VMlite virtual XP mode running under windows 7 and this now now supports usb and I have used a lexia on it successfully.

However, it is a little slow and I don't think it works under Vista.

I find it better to do a dual boot Windows 7 and XP installation and then just boot up in XP when I want to use the lexia. You get a much faster response.

Have you considered doing this?

regards

John
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

I tried the XP VM in windows 7 too and although it worked, it was very slow, so went down the dual boot route the same as John, I think dual boot will be better really
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Currently trying VMware, will see how that goes, then consider a second laptop just for the Lexia!
What a PITA!
GPZ500s
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

A dual boot installation is relatively easy to achieve.

Although normally the "newer" operating system is installed last, doing it the other way round is not difficult and there is plenty of advice and guidance on the Web if you search under "dual booting windows Vista" or similar.

Seems a bit of an overkill to buy a second laptop !!

regards

John
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Use XP and leave Vista and W7 where they belong..

In the toy cupboard; that's what they are - toys.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

Don't want to start a discussion, but while I agree that vista is a bit of a disaster, windows 7 does put right the problems and offers a number of significant improvements over XP (XP was only a much protected version of 2000!!).

W7 does run a lot smoother than xp.

The main issue is that a number of hardware and software providers are not offering or currently intending to offer, drivers and patches to enable some legacy hardware and software to run under W7 (canon scanners is one example).

This may change once it becomes clear that W7 is being taken up by industry (as Vista was not !!)

However, dual booting does enable you to have everything available in the meantime.

Regards

John
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

fred1 wrote:
The main issue is that a number of hardware and software providers are not offering or currently intending to offer, drivers and patches to enable some legacy hardware and software to run under W7 (canon scanners is one example).
Typical Canon :x I had a Canon printer I used with Win98, it was a few months old when XP came out. Canon never released an XP driver for that model, but introduced a nearly identical model with drivers for XP, forcing users to buy new hardware. Guess which brand I didn't buy.

I suppose Actia will have to produce a set of Win7 drivers eventually, but I fear they will come with a version of application that is severely crippled for those without Sedre accounts.
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Well all appears good so far. Using wmware player i have put xp on and installed lexia an pp2000. It recognises the actia box :lol:

just need to fiinish work so i can try it on the car! Sadly that wont be tilll monday!
GPZ500s
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Pleased it's working under vmware OK Dave. It's a fundamentally better product than Microsoft's own Virtual PC.

With regard to my comments earlier, my employer did roll out Vista on a very large scale and it has been a nightmare both for users and those of us who have to support it. I detest it for many reasons.

We are actually "upgrading" from Vista to XP on one system. We also still use Server 2003 in preference to Server 2008. We're not backward looking, just using what we know are solid, reliable, workmanlike products.

W7 I have only seen on my girl's laptops. People speak well of it but with my professional hat on, it's too flashy and gimmicky to be taken seriously. I'm sure for all home uses and tasks it's fine and a step up from Vista.

Just my personal view. We'll look at W7 when it has proved itself and can run without a reboot for at least a year. XP can...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Only had two encounters with W7 and neither of them were pleasant.
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

I have only briefly encountered windows 7 in setting up a laptop for someone. It seemed pretty much the same as vista from the outside!

Just managed to breifly get outside to see if it worked. But sadly it just keeps saying no dialogue with anything! Must be doing something wrong! Checked the cables etc but the global test just doesnt do anything! Im pretty sure my xm is non multiplexed so that cant be it! Bugger!
GPZ500s
kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

I have been contracting for a major financial institution for the last 2 years and they have been running Server 2008 for over a year and Win7 for 3 months. NSM and VM stats show 26% greater performance and reliability than previous 2003 server r2 instances. Also the servicedesk stats have shown 42% less 1st line issues since 2 weeks after implementation ( teething issues )

Personally i love server 2008 and win7 ( 64 bit only - 32 bit seems to mess up A LOT!!! ) Apart from the fact i need to now take ANOTHER Microsoft certification I am a fan.

But each to their own.

I do however think that for compatibility and legacy applications XP is the most supported and is also best placed within a VDI environment.

Just my 2p

Rhys
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

I will be able to try again with the lexia tomorow, just wondering if anyone knows of common reasons for the lexia to have no dialogue with the car?
Thanks!
Dave
GPZ500s
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Make sure the round connector is properly coupled.

I think that one of my cables has a fault, as it won't communicate with the airbag ECU on either of my cars, or the A/C ECU on the Mk1. I am investigating.

Jim, Could you dig out the schematics and tell me which pins of the 30 pin connector are used for Airbag and A/C? It would actually be useful to know where all the pins are used to build a cable check list. No desperate hurry.