Pug 406 estate towbar wiring

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jambo111

Pug 406 estate towbar wiring

Post by jambo111 »

Hi all , has anyone wired up a towbar on a 406 estate? I have a towbar fitted without electrics , i have the plug and cable , however i'm not sure where it connects to the main loom.
Any advice is welcomed.
Jim
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Does the 7 core cable have any plugs on it at the loom end or are they just bare wires.
Dave
jambo111

Post by jambo111 »

just bare wires.....
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Right! You'll need to bring the wires through the boot floor. Cut back the sheathing down to the grommet so that the wires can be separated, some to the left, others to the right. The white goes to a good earth. The yellow wire goes to the left indicator, the green to the right indicator. The brown is for the right hand tail light, the black for the left tail and numberplate. The red goes to the stop lights and the blue for the caravan fog light. When I wired my Xantia, it was possible to purchase (at a price) from Citroen a plugin connector, however I traced each bulb and connected the trailer wires using blue Scotchlocks. One further point. The indicator lights have got to be connected through a warning system, either by a light or a buzzer. It's possible to buy a relay with a buzzer attached.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

In that case you have to splice into the rear loom feeding the lights using scotch locks, unless you fancy the plug in type available from a main dealer.
If you use scotch locks, fill them with petrolium jelly before closing them, this will help prevent oxidation of the copper wire.
Dave