c5 nav jobby

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sportingfiat
My Cars:

c5 nav jobby

Post by sportingfiat »

hi all brought myself a new c5 vtr hdi 110

2004 on a 53 if it makes any difference

its got a factory fit navigon sat nav and telephone system been looking everywhere for a manual but cant find one :(

all the manuals ive found state the nav disk should be a seperate item in the little cubby hole, where mine fits straight into the dash

looks god from what i can figure out, salemans said something about sure you can put you phone sim into it somwhere too :)

any help much apprieciated

thanks

will post some pics of my nice shiny c5 up soon :)
cachaciero
My Cars:

Re: c5 nav jobby

Post by cachaciero »

sportingfiat wrote:hi all brought myself a new c5 vtr hdi 110

2004 on a 53 if it makes any difference

its got a factory fit navigon sat nav and telephone system been looking everywhere for a manual but cant find one :(

all the manuals ive found state the nav disk should be a seperate item in the little cubby hole, where mine fits straight into the dash

looks god from what i can figure out, salemans said something about sure you can put you phone sim into it somwhere too :)

any help much apprieciated

thanks

will post some pics of my nice shiny c5 up soon :)
If you can plug a disk into the front of the radio dash then you have an RD2 radio and it's not the Nav disk that goes into the slot on the dash, that's for any CD's you wish to play:-)
Down the right side of the steering wheel there is a door which drops down used in part for holding change for parking meters etc right at the back cubby hole you will a CD unit just like your home computer that's the NAV computer and disk unit.

If you have an RD2 radio you do not have the integrated radio / telephone system that would be an RT2 radio. The RT2 can be identified by the 12 buttons down the RH side of the LCD display and a slot for a sim card at the bottom and center of the dash.

cachaciero
sportingfiat
My Cars:

Post by sportingfiat »

there is nothing in the cubby hole at all

it requests the nav disk to be in the cd slot in the dash

its got a round knob like a volume knob on each side surrounded by buttons and in the middle of them is a phone keypad and at the side of that is green phone and red phone and citroen logo

if you press the citroen logo come up on the screen with do you want to call citroen assist

if you go into menus has text messages etc in there

well strange system

the screen is the big one where clock normally is if that makes a difference

looked at loads of c5`s and never seem one like this
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

It's an RT3 navidrive system you have, your right the disc goes into the unit itself, the other type system has the seperate drive in the drivers side cubby. You use a ball point pen in the little hole above the SIM slot on the right hand side of the unit to eject the SIM holder.
sportingfiat
My Cars:

Post by sportingfiat »

brill thanks for that, apparently according to google :O there are various updates available for the drive to let it play mp3 :)

anyone know where to get the updates and a user manual from :)

thanks
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

wheeler wrote:It's an RT3 navidrive system you have, your right the disc goes into the unit itself, the other type system has the seperate drive in the drivers side cubby. You use a ball point pen in the little hole above the SIM slot on the right hand side of the unit to eject the SIM holder.

Ah..! I assumed by the date that it was an S1 C5 so I didn't even consider an RT3 which I understand is an S2 radio .

cachaciero

Out of curiosity who makes the RT3 unit?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

RT3 was fitted to the mk1 & some mk2's, later mk2's have RT4 which can play MP3's.
Never actually seen an RT2 unit in real life, don't think it was ever available in the UK.
I believe magneti marelli make the RT3/4.
kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

So does this mean that you can fit an RT2/RT3 to a S1 like mine 52 plate?

Anyone know where these can be sourced and where i can find pictures?

Rhys
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

wheeler wrote:RT3 was fitted to the mk1 & some mk2's, later mk2's have RT4 which can play MP3's.
Never actually seen an RT2 unit in real life, don't think it was ever available in the UK.
I believe magneti marelli make the RT3/4.
Well that leaves me with another question :-) The comms stuff for NAV and Radio was as I understand it on a VAN bus on S1 cars the S2's as I understand it are all CAN bus does that mean that an RT3 unit will talk to both CAN and VAN (Thinking about replacing an RD2 on an S1)

Confused of Haywards Heath
kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

Cheap RT3 from Fiat Ulysee not sure if it can be coded to a citroen but cheap at the mo none the less

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIAT-ULYSEE-RADIO ... 3a5848e6bd
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

kaostheory wrote:Cheap RT3 from Fiat Ulysee not sure if it can be coded to a citroen but cheap at the mo none the less

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIAT-ULYSEE-RADIO ... 3a5848e6bd
Well appears to answer one of my questions in that it says it is the VAN bus version not the CAN bus which implies that there were two versions, raises another question though as it talks about fibre optic data links to the screen have to investigate that further :-(

cachaciero
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Ok this could get confusing :)
Mk1 C5's all Have VAN/CAN multiplexing
Mk2 C5's & all C6's have CAN/CAN multiplexing
This is a mk1 VAN/CAN RT3 unit, It cant be interchanged with a mk 2, apart from its pysical size it wont talk electronically to a full CAN car anyway. RT4 is not available on VAN/CAN
This is what the RT3 & 4 units look like from a mk2 CAN/CAN car
The actual units of RT3's & RT4's look the same on CAN/CAN types its the operation, features & software thats different, these units cant be interchanged either.
The units comunicate with their screens via a fibre optic link.
Retrofitting an RT3 to a mk1 is deffo not feasible unless you had a complete donor car to swap bits off. Get a tomtom for £100 quid & a parrot handsfree for £60 & your sorted.
Messing about swapping SIM cards around out your phone & into the unit every time you go out in the car would be a bit of a pain if you ask me.
Cant really comment on the RT2 system as i've never actually seen one in a car or played about with one, only ever seen them in handbooks. they seem a bit stone age now anyway.
The Citroen,peugeot & fiat units are all the same apart from the manufacturer button has a different picture.
sportingfiat
My Cars:

Post by sportingfiat »

lol confusing, i have the top rt3 in mine, but have been told that there is a update cd up to sw version 6.63 think it was.

now having got hold of this disc any idea if it matters whicjh type of rt3 it is???
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Version 6.xx is CAN/CAN RT3. It is not advisable to use the wrong software update in it. may damage the unit unless someone has tried & tested it ?
sportingfiat
My Cars:

Post by sportingfiat »

right ive gone for a different update after big of internet trawling came across eurovan2 forum and they have version 5.5d which is right version for mine which is a VAN software version lol 2005 update version

all updated and the difference is brill, point of interests added and loads more features

just been sent a new version lol 5.52a which is 2007 version so come weekend will try again :)

see what more features we get

not be long before understand these systems :O