MOT prepping

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

MOT prepping

Post by MikeT »

I've decided to take the free MOT voucher from Citroen. The car passed it last time without advisories but the the poor thing has been left outside unused since and has barely been started/moved.

I know the discs need de-rusting and the tyres inflating a bit, possibly two need replacing. Obvious items to check are lights, indicators, washers and wipers, handbrake efficiency. The rear number plate has faded a bit and I've had one fail before because "the camera can't read it" :evil: so that may need replacing.

What else would you check? It would be good to see it pass first time again as I'd like to get it on the road this year.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Couple of "easy to check" (not always "easy to fix")

CV Boots, steering rack gaiter's (check these on full lock ideally)

Flexi brake hoses for cracks, metal brake pipes for deep rust or pitting

Brake and fuel pipes securely clipped into place (check for fuel / brake leaks too)

Handbrake cables not split

Jack up each corner safely and check for excess play

A decent run beforehand to clear out any build up of coke will do wonders for your smoke test too (change air filter if its too dirty before)

Not sure but if you have the actual amber painted indicator bulbs, switch hazards on and check they have not gone too white (paint can come off the bulbs with age / heat)

Headlight aim's probably ok, can be roughly checked against a wall if its miles out although most will adjust it anyway if needed.

Check seats are secure and seatbelts are ok (not frayed etc)

Just a few quick things to look at really. Did not want to go too mad with a massive list for you. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Nice list spider,

I do thiese checks and useually when I do, I get a Pass First time :lol:

So Mike, you cant go far wrong with this, its only what they do, the only things they can do that you cant is emmisions, and brake ballance front and rear...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Spider wrote
"Couple of "easy to check" (not always "easy to fix")

CV Boots, steering rack gaiter's (check these on full lock ideally)

Flexi brake hoses for cracks, metal brake pipes for deep rust or pitting

Brake and fuel pipes securely clipped into place (check for fuel / brake leaks too)

Handbrake cables not split

Jack up each corner safely and check for excess play

A decent run beforehand to clear out any build up of coke will do wonders for your smoke test too (change air filter if its too dirty before)

Not sure but if you have the actual amber painted indicator bulbs, switch hazards on and check they have not gone too white (paint can come off the bulbs with age / heat)

Headlight aim's probably ok, can be roughly checked against a wall if its miles out although most will adjust it anyway if needed.

Check seats are secure and seatbelts are ok (not frayed etc)"

after checking all that just go to MOT station and ask the to print you a pass certificate, TEA HE

regards malcolm
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

An MOT tester once advised me to use wet n dry on discs that have surface rust - obviously any pitting would mean new discs and pads though. Not sure I want to spend much money as it cost me peanuts and isn't the tidiest looking.

The mind's willing but not sure the body will accept crawling under cars anymore. If I have a particularly good day, I might venture under there but it's unlikely. I'll see if I can get my nephew to volunteer this weekend.

My MOT voucher came with email saying I should wait for them to contact me for an appointment but can anyone advise if this happened to them or did they have to make first contact to book the test?
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

To get surface rust off the brakes just go for a drive and apply them quite strongly, soon gets rid of rust.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I believe that would also work but I'd hate to be involved in an accident before they got scrubbed off - you know, Murphy's law and all that. :roll: