Xantia fuel leak.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Xantia fuel leak.

Post by Homer »

I have a slight fuel leak from the tank on my late '98 model Xantia estate. Only noticable when the tank is full and the car left standing for a few hours.
Initially I thought it was the joints on the rubber pipe between the filler and tank but it is coming from elsewhere and running onto these joints.
It also sometimes runs down the rear of the tank, toward the R/H side.
I have opened the access above the fuel lines/sensor and there is no sign of a leak there, also the fuel lines run forward so don't appear to be in the area of the leak.
Has anyone come across a similar problem?
Are the tanks prone to cracking?
The car was involved in a fairly hefty smash from the R/H side which required both doors replacing and work to the door pillar and sill. I don't know if that had a bearing on it but the leak didn't show up until 6 months or so later.
At the moment I am avoiding filling the tank completely unless setting out on a run. 30 miles or so (about a gallon's worth of driving - 2.0 turbo petrol) is enough to avoid the leak completely.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Homer -
Most BX'es (millions) uses plastic tanks - never heard of a crack.
But a common problem is the approx 1" dia. vent hose found somehwere on the top edge/side of the tank. The hose in some cases works more or less off the stud, or the hoseclamp simply loose fit. Rarely the rubber hose is cracked or rotten.
Guess this could happen also to Xantia fueltank fitting.
Have the car safely lifted & supported on jacks, then using a good spotlight research the tank fittings from under the car.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

We had a similar problem on our 94 ZX diesel. I replaced the large vent pipe clip for good measure bt this made no difference and I got as far as changing the gauge unit sealing ring. Nothing wrong with the old one and it still leaked. I was thinking of a split in the tank or similar but had a btter look with a torch and a mirror and found another pipe going to the top of the tank in an innaccessible position.
I didn't fancy dropping the tank and so cut a small access hole in the seat box, flipped the clip off and pulled out the pipe - and there was the problem - a split 1 inch long on the side I couldn't see.
In fact the pipe connected to the fuel filler pipe near to the cap. Replacement cured the problem!
Seems some of the vent tube used goes hard and splits - wonder if this is your problem.
jeremy
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

My 94 Xantia does the same. I found out when I put 66 litres of diesel in on a fourcourt and was wondering if the pump readout was faulty, When I stopped pumping (I was getting worried by that stage) I heard splashing, and underneath the car I was able to see the last gallon forming a puddle on the forecourt. This was coming from the top of the tank, and I assumed it to be a split/loose vent pipe. I haven't fixed it yet, and any advice as to how to do so would be very welcome.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Thanks, I'll see if I can find a vent pipe on top.
As usual the Haynes manual is as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I remember the day when they had detailed diagrams of everything. Now you are lucky if they show you where the headlamp bulbs go.
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm chocolate :)