Clutch clip job done! Now for the black brake cannister.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Clutch clip job done! Now for the black brake cannister.

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Thanks for everyone's assistance the clutch clip job is now done-everything apart from the final replace black brake cannister step that is.

I have just come back for a cup of tea after spending a frustrating 15 minutes attempting to put back the black brake cannister.

It came out OK after a bit of fiddling and would appear as if all that was required would be to simply push it back in. I am even doubting now which way round it fits, although I am 99.9% sure it is as per my picture. Is there a knack? does fairy liquid help?

Sorry to bother you all with such a triviality

Thanks NeilImage
NewcastleFalcon

The black brake cannister job is done :D

After a fair bit of frustration, chamfering the edges of the cannister, holding it in roughly the right place behind the pedal, and exerting downward pressure on the brake pedal forced it home.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Did you take the opportunity to remove the spring inside the canister and replace it with a length of 15mm water pipe?

It can improve the feel of the brakes and take the annoying springyness out of the pedal.

It's not everyones cup of tea but if you like firm, positive brakes it can help.

The spring is there to make the brakes feel more conventional...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Not this time Jim, I was just happy to get the cannister back in after spending an embarrasing amount of time trying (hours rather than minutes I am afraid to say). Just glad this time to have some brakes as opposed to no brakes.

The spring itself certainly didn't fall out when I removed the cannister, and was left in the hole behind the pedal. Maybe that was part of my difficulty of getting the thing back in place. Its not easy to see the precise anatomy of that area behind the upper part of the brake pedal and I did the job more by feel than sight.

all the best
Neil
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If the spring was inside the pedal Neil, then that's half the problem. The spring should be fully inside the canister.

The canister should be in two halves with a collar in the middle to hold them together. You slide the collar up to separate the halves and expose the spring.

Sounds almost like half of the canister is missing...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...