Rattle inside glove box lid, Xantia hatch 2000 reg

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gingerposer
My Cars:

Rattle inside glove box lid, Xantia hatch 2000 reg

Post by Gingerposer »

Folks, I am hearing something slide about when cornering. I think it is coming from the glove box lid, as there is a similar rattle when I open it and move it to and fro quickly.
Is there a way of opening up the lid to check inside? I can't see any external screws and was wondering if there are hidden fixings somewhere?

Cheers

Ainslie
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would take the lid off and shake it, to make sure that is where the noise is coming from, if it is, locate the position, drill a small hole and squirt some adhesive or foam filler in, only a little though!.
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

Thing is, I can't see any way to remove the lid from the glovebox. Does the whole thing have to come out to do this?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its the same as the XM, yes, I'm afraid so.
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Glovebox de-rattled!

Post by Gingerposer »

Decided to remove the glovebox to see if I could cure the annoying rattle. Was a bit confused at first cos I could only see one screw, however after a bit of head-scratching and forlorn haynes consulting I guessed that the four rubber buffers also contain screws!
I then removed the screws, loosened the light fitting and pulled the box firmly forward and down, at which point I felt like I had hit the jackpot at the slots at Vegas!

Several foreign coins fell out as I pulled the box forward. I have no idea where in the box they were trapped, or what caused them to start rattling. They must have been there before I got the car cos I have not been anywhere foreign (not even England!). :lol: :lol:

Anyway, I will be happy to have cured the rattle.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Great stuff :D You're better off than you thought!

Not legal tender in England though.

Out of interest, what currencies are they? I don't recognise them.

England is worth a visit, if only to make you appreciate more where you live. Where is that then?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

The coins were mostly Euros, plus a 1 KUNA piece and a 50 LIPA piece. I bought the car from a Croatian guy living in Montrose, a wee dander south from where I live in Balmedie, Aberdeenshire.
England is ok I guess, the wife came from there :lol:

Ainslie
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

From what I hear of Scotland Ainslie, if we English visited I think there would be a very large risk we'd stay and not venture south again :D

Shame on me, I've only ever been to Scotland once and that was to Gretna :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:From what I hear of Scotland Ainslie, if we English visited I think there would be a very large risk we'd stay and not venture south again :D

Shame on me, I've only ever been to Scotland once and that was to Gretna :lol:
Same here. I only live just south of the border but have never crossed it :(
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

Gents, you are missing out on some truly breathtaking scenery and driving roads! Seriously, get your chevrons up the west coast and over to Skye for starters, or head North to Inverness and beyond, you won't regret it.

Ainslie