1.9 Turbo Diesel Xantia Gearbox oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

1.9 Turbo Diesel Xantia Gearbox oil

Post by red_dwarfers »

When I sent a family member into the local GSF to get a few extra bits for my front end suspension overhaul I also needed some oil for the box after the NS driveshaft fell out of its splines a bit.
The BoL quotes 75W/80 for the BE3 but GSF man tells me that he doesn't stock that as it has been superseeded by 75W/90 and so I have a bottle of that.

Can I use this to top up the current 75W/80 or will I have to pop over to the local old school motor factors for 75W/80?
Just after a second opinion really.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

I'm no expert on lubrication, but my understanding is that an oil rating of 75W/80 means that the cold (Winter) viscosity is 75 whatevers and the hot viscosity is 80 somethings. If so, the hot viscosity of 75W/90 is higher than that of than 75W/80. It doesn't take many miles for a gearbox to warm up (even on a cold day), so most of the time the hot viscosity is what matters; the cold viscosity also has to be correct otherwise there would be problems when the box was cold.

As the BE3 is notoriously fussy about the correct oil viscosity, I'd expect 75W/90 to cause problems with changing gear. To me this sounds like an irresponsible prat b***s**tting you to sell what was on the shelf! :roll:

There must be a decent motor factors in Exeter who has the right oil Kev.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

75W/80 is the only oil for a BE3 Kev...

Comma make a good one and good factors stock it. It's labelled as being suitable for certain Peugeot and Citroen gearboxes.

Guy is right, any other oil will make the gearchange stiff in the cold and risk synchro damage.

I once experienced a 'box filled with EP90. Early morning gearchanges were near on impossible...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

It`s mail order here if you are pushed to get it local. Watch Stealer prices....they are about a tenner for this same item.

http://www.aepdirect.com/index.php?opti ... ct_id=1916
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

lexi wrote:It`s mail order here if you are pushed to get it local. Watch Stealer prices....they are about a tenner for this same item.

http://www.aepdirect.com/index.php?opti ... ct_id=1916
That's the very best stuff Lexi. Good price that :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...