Hole in sump

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dturbo

Hole in sump

Post by dturbo »

Just put a hole into the sump of my 405. I believe the cheapest option would be glue it. Anyone done this and what do you recommend I use?
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

Is there a glue that can withstand temperatures of 130 degrees centigrade ?, the sort of environment that the sump is in is very hostile, i would suggest as a minimum bodge repair that you could make and oiltight gasket and put it on a metal plate that you could rivet to the sump from the outside ?

Sumps are so easy to take off though on most cars, that its probably going to be easier to get a new sump from teh scrappy and fit it
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i used a chemical metal (QUICK STEEL) which can be used under water and/or in oily conditions, and it can be drilled a tapped,

here is an ebay listting item No. 380168737346,

regards malcolm
dturbo

Post by dturbo »

TopDonkey I don't think it is easy taking the sump off a 405 as far as I could see. A fellow owner please confirm.

citronut the hole was near the corner and a funny shape a tapped wouldn't work I think.

In the end I didn't feel comfortable doing it (maybe because I'm useless :lol: ) so took it to a mechanic.

He glued it with another piece of alu (which I'm now reading should be done) but seems to hold for these few days so pretty happy.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I would also second quicksteel, great stuff but i would think you would need to take the sump off anyway to clean the oil off to allow it to set, once it is set the oil wont affect it.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i did mean tap as in re/threading tool, not tape as in gaffer tape,

also Wheeler it dose say QUICK STEEL can be used under water and in oily conditions,

regards malcolm
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

citronut wrote: also Wheeler it dose say QUICK STEEL can be used under water and in oily conditions,

regards malcolm
I dont doubt it would set when soaked in oil & oil resistant when set but i cant see it bonding very well to anything when its setting.