Long Distance Advice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

brmartyn
My Cars: Citroen C8

Long Distance Advice

Post by brmartyn »

So the time has come for me to take a trip back to my homeland of Bradford for a few days (Grandparents golden wedding anniversary so the whole family will be there - but that's another story). :lol: :lol:

From High Wycombe it's roughly a 400 mile round trip so I'm just wondering what I should be checking on the Xantia before I set off - oil, water, the hydractive suspension etc etc.

I'm really looking forward to the drive as I haven't had the opportunity to give the Xantia a decent run yet so it should be interesting.

Cheers guys.
Brady

Citroen C8 2.2 HDI Exclusive 2006/06

Previous French cars -
Renault Megane Tourer 2004/54 1.9 DCI Privilege
Citroen Xantia 1998/S 2.0 16v Exclusive Automatic
Renault Laguna Sports Tourer Dymanique 2001/51
Citroen Saxo VTR 2000/W
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Tyre pressures and condition.
In cabin sweet supplies.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

First task on visiting Yorkshire is to ensure your Visa is valid :lol:

I do the following weekly on my Xantias Brady:

1. Check all fluid levels.
2. Do Citarobics and whilst on high, check the LHM level.
3. Leave on high and look underneath at both ends. Check CV joint boots and look for any fluid leaks. Check exhaust for integrity and condition.
4. Check tyre condition and pressures. Check all wheel studs present and correct.
5. Check condition of auxillary belt.
6. Check all lighting.
7. Check engine and radiator for any fluid leaks not detected by looking underneath.

needless to say, rectify any issues found...

That seems to work for me. I may have left something out as my checks are second-nature and done on auto-pilot most of the time.

Enjoy the trip :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
brmartyn

Post by brmartyn »

CitroJim wrote:First task on visiting Yorkshire is to ensure your Visa is valid :lol:

I do the following weekly on my Xantias Brady:

1. Check all fluid levels.
2. Do Citarobics and whilst on high, check the LHM level.
3. Leave on high and look underneath at both ends. Check CV joint boots and look for any fluid leaks. Check exhaust for integrity and condition.
4. Check tyre condition and pressures. Check all wheel studs present and correct.
5. Check condition of auxillary belt.
6. Check all lighting.
7. Check engine and radiator for any fluid leaks not detected by looking underneath.

needless to say, rectify any issues found...

That seems to work for me. I may have left something out as my checks are second-nature and done on auto-pilot most of the time.

Enjoy the trip :D
Thanks for the list Jim and when I get to border control I'll make sure I'll have my passport and foreign currency to hand :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brady

Previous French cars -
Citroen Saxo VTR 2000/W
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Thats certainly a comprehensive list of checks Jim. Dont think i can add to that.

Tyre pressures are very important and even more so on long runs, as the tyres build up heat (i was a little worried earlier when i parked the Xm up after driving 30 miles in bad weather that both front tyres were steaming! Though i had just came round a series of roundabouts fast, not seen that before though). Check tyre condition, any defects (cuts, buldges, uneven tread) is made worse at high speeds as the temperature rises. Sometimes people put one or two more PSi in their tyres for long distance, high speed driving.

Oil level, check its full and clean. If its not been changed in a while id be changing it. As oil is also for cooling as well as lubricating.

Use good quality fuel (shell/BP) your engine will like it and you should get a bit better mpg.

Thats about it, and 400 miles isnt too much of a distance, simple checks should be enough.

Have a good drive :) I love getting in the car and driving for miles and miles.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
brmartyn

Post by brmartyn »

I see tyre pressure has been mentioned a few times, what's the correct PSI for a Xantia Exclusive?
Brady

Previous French cars -
Citroen Saxo VTR 2000/W
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Should say just inside your drivers door, usually around 33 front 31 rear, though best check on your car.

Your car will say it in BAR, so here is a good little site to convert it to PSi:
http://www.centauro-owners.com/articles/psibar.html
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I'm afraid that when I go anywhere in my XM, including our regular trips to the north of Scotland, usually 2,000 miles + I just get in and go, I do keep the oil changed regularly and at the same time check LHM, tyre pressures etc, but most other problems I deal with as they arrive. I haven't had a breakdown in the last 70,000 + miles.

Peter
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

I'm with you, Peter N.

every 10 weeks or so we drive Bordeaux to B'rum and back, just check oil, water, tyres.

Then enjoy the trip.
brmartyn

Post by brmartyn »

So the cars all topped up and ready to go, I'll let you all know how I get on when I return home on Sunday :sprint: :sprint: :sprint:
Brady

Previous French cars -
Citroen Saxo VTR 2000/W
scratcher
My Cars:

long distance advice

Post by scratcher »

Hi,check tyres, oil water every week change the oil every3000miles as with the old Citroens, then just jump in and go! I have been from form near Kettering to Barrow-inFurness in one day for a meeting of the Submariners Assocn. no problems or worries. Close on a 500 mile trip. Gerry
Xantia vsx
GSA 1300
Previous AMI8 estate
GS1015
GSA1300 estate
BX16
BX17d
BX19destate
BX19d
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yep, i agree, tyre pressures & condition along with oil level and coolent level checks should be carried out every week or at least every two weeks.

I do oil changes every 6K miles.

Ive sometimes found punctures early by doing regular tyre pressure checks. Frequent checks mean you can spot things going wrong early, before they get too bad and become costly/inconvenient.

I cant understand people who dont check their car over, even the basics such as oil and tyre pressures. You often see cars driving around with very underinflated tyres, which have been ran for some time and the edges are bald and even showing cords, just asking for a blow out. Bald tyres are another thing you often spot, so i do wonder how many of these cars have little oil too.

I was nearly involved in an accident a year or so ago when someone overtook me doing 90 with a totally flat rear tyre. Just as they passed me their tyre came off the rim, the wheel dug in and sent the car into a spin sending it crashing into the centre crash barrier several times just a few metres infront of me. Luckily i spotted it just as he passed and i slammed on my brakes, or i would have been cought up in it.

So i think its a very important thing to be doing, weekly checks can help avoild such incedents.

Ive often done a good few miles in a day with the knowledge the car is going to be fine. 500-700 miles in a day is easily manageable, but its reasuring to know you have done your bit (5-10 mins of checks) to ensure the car is going to be good for the job.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
trooper30
My Cars:

Post by trooper30 »

She will get you there and back fine m8, i used to do the Mk to Newcastle trip regular and thats about 500 mile round trip and she never missed a heart beat :wink:
brmartyn

Post by brmartyn »

Hi guys

So i'm back home in one piece and I can report my Xantia has done me proud :D :luv: :D

Fantastic drive with no problems at all, comfortable and quick it really gives some of these more modern day cars a run for their money. I also found the fuel economy very good it was a 420 mile round trip and I did it with a little bit of fuel left over :yeah: :bd: :yeah:
Brady

Previous French cars -
Citroen Saxo VTR 2000/W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Good stuff Brady :D

It's when the Xantia is at it's best on a journey like that...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...