Xantia Bottom radiator Hose connection diameter/hose dia?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Xantia Bottom radiator Hose connection diameter/hose dia?

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi, is anyone likely to soon remove a Mk2 1.9TDair cooled xantia coolant radiator please?

if so can you please measure the diameter of the bottom hose connection which would normally be on the drivers side of the car.

my reason for asking is that I want to buy a thermostatic coolant heater that fits in the radiator hose.

thank you in advance Nigel.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 21 Feb 2010, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Is it OK if the hose diameter is from mk2, petrol, manual and air conditioned model?
In mine the upper and lower radiator hoses have inner diameter 39 mm, at the radiator connection end.
This connection end is wider than the rest of the hose where outer diameter is 39 mm.

(A short visit to convertunits.com/from/mm/to/inches gave 39 mm = 1.535 inches ) :)

Edit: Hose wall thickness is 4 mm.
Last edited by VertVega on 20 Feb 2010, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Be interested in more details of the heater Nigel...

Is this to give a nice warm car on frosty mornings?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Hi Nigel,

My old radiator, removed last month, is sitting outside. It's off my S1 1.9TD which does NOT have aircon. Check it out tomorow for you. I'm unsure whether the fact that it doesn't have aircon will make any difference. I assume the internal and external diameter of the bottom outlet is what you're after? Metric or inches preferred?

Regards
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Xantidote.

the Heaters are measured in inches thanks for asking. the us minimum connection size for the heaters are 1.5 inches.

Vertvega, Not sure to follow your measurements or not, my xantia is a 1.9 TD Mk2 with air con so not sure at the mo, but thanks anyway.
will edit the question adding vechicle details.

Jim, if your interested go to ebay and search for zerostart and you will get onto the USA ebay and it will show you a list of different coolant heaters, much cheaper than a kenlowe but many rely on convection and are not pumped systems, if it is going to run over night with its own thermostat I dont think it will need a pump.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Depending on the design of the cooling system, you need to think whether the natural recirculation is going to be through the radiator of the engine, you won't see a lot of benefit from heating the radiator.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a good point Mike..

I believe these heaters are usually plumbed into the heater circuit so that warm water will both flow into the heater and the engine block...

The thermostat will effectively stop any circulation if plumbed into a radiator hose...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The ones we used in Sweden heated the engine rather than the cooling system. I don't recall how they achieved it but have a suspicion that it was an electric element in the sump, similar to an immersion heater.

One of our Scandinavian members would surely have more and current info on this. A unit sourced in Scandinavia would also be suitable for UK voltage without needing a step-down transformer.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I think Mike & Jim make good points - for a rapid initial warm-up, you'd be better with any heater in the heater matrix circuit. Depends what you are trying to achieve (warmer weather will be here soon, we hope!)

Question (before you get very involved in lots of work)- is your thermostat doing it's job properly, and not getting at all lazy. On my TD, the temperature gauge shows the temperature coming up to about 80 degrees in about 3-4 miles.

Dimensions of bottom radiator outlet connection you asked for, off my S1 1.9TD without aircon as follows:

Internal dia = 34mm (=1 11/32")
Outer dia = 37mm (=1 15/32")
Outer dia over the bulb lip on end of connection = 38.5mm (=1 1/2")

Just a thought - would the heater you put into a hose obstruct the normal flow of coolant?

Hope this helps :D
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Haven't found much on the Scandinavian option but there is some reading on it here and here.

SAAB were developing a snazzy ceramic exhaust system that retained the heat of the exhaust for up to eight hours and used it to keep the engine warm. Must have been shelved when GM took over.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

For example engine block heater information can be found here --> Defa warmup applications.
Same company also provides hose heaters and oil heaters.
You can also check manuals by clicking "Support --> User Manuals or Brochures" link on top of the same page.

Edit: Find your engine heater: On the left side of the page,
Select CITROEN and XANTIA and click SEARCH for detailed information --> Defa warmup
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
falling-out-with-my-car

CitroJim wrote:That's a good point Mike..

I believe these heaters are usually plumbed into the heater circuit so that warm water will both flow into the heater and the engine block...

The thermostat will effectively stop any circulation if plumbed into a radiator hose...
an inline fuel heater seems to work fine with convection mounted in the fuel line (I have one) so why not a coolant heater in a bottom hose?