Headlight washer problem XM S2

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Headlight washer problem XM S2

Post by citroenesque »

Hi

The headlight washers didn't work when I got the car, but the pump did operate, so clearly I thought: put some screen wash in the bottle and let's see what happens...

Lights on, pulled the wash/wipe stalk and the motor pumped and copious amounts of water squirted over the headlights (and front of the car): great, I thought. Trouble is it didn't stop... I turned the lights off, ignition off... still going (although the water was not longer coming out) and the motor going ten to the dozen...

Locked and unlocked the car, but in the end had to remove the fuse (which wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't the same for the horn)...

I need to disconnect the washer pump from power, maybe remove it, but certainly the former. I don't even know (except roughly) where the offending motor is... The sound seems to come from under the black box on the o/s wing, although I suspect it might be further forward?

Anyone got any suggestions?
1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Diesel hatch, white, 92k
*SOLD* 1998 Citroen Xantia Ser.1 Turbo Diesel manual, Desire Limited Edition hatch, Mauritius Blue, 118k
2003 Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer auto, BRG, 135k
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

On the Xantia there is a timer relay which suffers from dry joints and just needs resoldering. If the relay has been replaced with the wrong type then it may latch on and stay on thus causing the pump to run continuously
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

Where's the relay situated, anyone know? As a temporary solution I'll disconnect the pump, but seeing as I got them to work, I'll try to fix it.
*SOLD* 1998 Citroen Xantia Ser.1 Turbo Diesel manual, Desire Limited Edition hatch, Mauritius Blue, 118k
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

citroenesque wrote:... As a temporary solution I'll disconnect the pump, ...
I have also disconnected the pump "temporarily" 6 years ago :)
In mine relay was a big one and pink colored. Had these text and numbers on it:
G.CARTIER

I don't know its location in XM but did you check engine bay fuse box?
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

And in a nice, fetching shade of pink :lol:

It stands out well, wherever it is in the XM. It's twice as tall as a normal relay...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Headlight washer jet problems on a Mk2 XM are normally mechanical with the jet stem in the bumper failing to return to the down position. This then fails to close the internal mechanical water supply valve so the water tank then empties under gravity. Fix for this is to lubricate the washer jet stem(s).
If the problem is electrical then the controlling relay will have welded its contacts on. The headlamp washer jet pump has its own relay (not a timer one) From a quick look at the circuit diagram it will be found under the dashboard glove box. A seperate relay not one of those mounted on the passenger compartment fuse box.

John
Xmexclusive
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yep id have said that too, are the washer jets returning back to sitting on the bumper? If you push them gently they should go back in. A bit of lubrication usually sorts this out.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

Well, amazingly (and typically French), this morning I went out in the drizzle to find the relay. I put screenwash in the tank (I though running the thing dry might not have helped), replaced the fuse (fully expecting the pump to start off again)... but nothing. Fuse back in. Horn working OK. I haven't been tempted to try the washers again, but when the weather improves I will try to locate the relay and carry a spare. I will also consider isolating the washer pump.
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi Phil

You need to check the headlight washers before long I suspect and track this down.
The reason is that you are going to regularly try them by default and most likely at an inconvinent time.
They only work when the lights are on and you operate the windscreen washers. So as it stands you will next test them while driving in the dark.
If it is a sticking relay then while stuck it will be a drain on the battery.

John
Xmexclusive
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

If it is the relay, say, would taking it out mean I could keep the fuse in place and use the horn OK? (I'll hunt for the relay this week, weather and time permitting)...

If I can obtain a replacement relay I could try the washers again with it fitted. At least if the same problem manifested itself I could just leave the relay out until I feel like tracing the fault to elsewhere I guess.
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi Phil

Will see if I can confirm the actual relay location on one of the XMs tomorrow. The relay does nothing else so removing it will just loose you the headlamp washers.

John
Xmexclusive
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

Cheers John, you're a star.