Low energy tyres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mrlogik
My Cars:

Low energy tyres

Post by mrlogik »

Hi all i read a review back along on the latest new fangled merc e class 220 diesel that got a whopping 50+ mpg partly helped by its low energy tires has anyone any experience of such tires and how do they help are they just skinnier? Is it worth paying for them on my almost ready to change tires if im gonna gain some extra mileage i wonder and are the more modern citroens utilizing these tires and has anyone got any?
c5 hdi 110 lx
Xantia hdi forte 140,000 [sold]
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Well, eco tyres are always the same width as whats fitted to your car. Some new economy models use thin wheels and tyres but its not a great idea to put narrower tyres on a wheel made for wider ones.

However, eco tyres have a lower rolling resistance, this varies from one tyre brand to another, some brands make 'green' tyres, normal tyres and performance tyres.

However, yes, Citroen has always used eco saving tyres where possible. No doubt your C5 came with Michelin energy tyres. Citroen always uses Michelin tyres and on the smaller car range they have eco tyres. Eco tyres dont tend to be available for larger tyres, these tend to be more performance oriantated tyres.

So, eco tyres are usually advertised as lasting longer while providing better economy. If you look at the other angle this could mean the tyres are made from harder rubber, meaning less grip.

I wouldnt worry about buying eco tyres, i cant see how the extra money needed to buy these tyres could be recouped. Ive just replaced michelin energys and energy savers on the C5 with Goodyears, there is no difference in fuel economy ...

Though if your a Michelin person, then by all means, they are reasonable tyres and will no doubt last well - here is where you might get your money back, as they often last a bit longer.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Citroenmad wrote:Well, eco tyres are always the same width as whats fitted to your car. Some new economy models use thin wheels and tyres but its not a great idea to put narrower tyres on a wheel made for wider ones.

However, eco tyres have a lower rolling resistance, this varies from one tyre brand to another, some brands make 'green' tyres, normal tyres and performance tyres.

However, yes, Citroen has always used eco saving tyres where possible. No doubt your C5 came with Michelin energy tyres. Citroen always uses Michelin tyres and on the smaller car range they have eco tyres. Eco tyres dont tend to be available for larger tyres, these tend to be more performance oriantated tyres.

So, eco tyres are usually advertised as lasting longer while providing better economy. If you look at the other angle this could mean the tyres are made from harder rubber, meaning less grip.

I wouldnt worry about buying eco tyres, i cant see how the extra money needed to buy these tyres could be recouped. Ive just replaced michelin energys and energy savers on the C5 with Goodyears, there is no difference in fuel economy ...

Though if your a Michelin person, then by all means, they are reasonable tyres and will no doubt last well - here is where you might get your money back, as they often last a bit longer.
Yes, all of the above. Unless you do mega-miles, it's unlikely to something worth worrying about.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

I think in general terms, yes they do work. However, the extra you have to pay to get them is not returned in the fuel saved, so not worth it. I'm sure I saw this in a study somewhere recently. I know that the equivelant Michellin Energy tyre was nearly twice the price of the Toyo Proxes I ended up with.

If you are keen to save fuel, the best thing to do is modify you driving style, make sure your tyres at at their specified pressure, and empty the car of all the junk you don't need.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.