Pre MOT Blues.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Pre MOT Blues.

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I knew my MOt was running out on 25th of February but the weather was holding me back freezing temperatures for weeks on end and not a warm day to get anything done.

:rant2:
finally On 16th of February the sun came out for the fist time warmming the climate sufficently to change my xantia steering column, it was beautiful day and all went reasonably well except to say for shearing one of the lower colunm mounting bolts, fortunately there was enough thread left to put a nut on and attach the column again.

I booked the MOT for the 19th of Feb blissfully unaware that the flamin headlamps would steam up when it snowed at dinnertine on the 18th. :shock:
when I went out to the car I notice a side light bulb gone.

so not taking into account the very cold air I opened the bonnet and removed the cover plate at the back of the offending head lamp.(NOT A GOOD IDEA) :oops:
replaced the bulb and drove to town.
when I got home I noticed that the headlamp was misted up inside :evil: so I removed the lamp dried it inside with a hairdryer and put it back in the car. then I noticed that the other headlamp had moisture in it, by now I was cursing the snow quite a bit. :hb:

so I removed the second headlamp and dried it out and put it back, the snow was getting worse by the minute.

Arrgghh :hb: the first headlamp was misting up again, so I removed it again dried it out and reversed the seal on the back cover plate, it seemed to seal up this time, I had to remove the other headlamp a second time to also reverse the seal as I reasembled the headlamp I noticed that the mainbeam lamp had blown and I didnt have a replacement, it was now 4pm the car was in bits and town is 7 miles away
Grrrrr, fortunately my father had one and saved me a lot of hassle going out for a drive in the snow in rush hour.

it was extreemly cold a wet out there the car was carefully put under the carport for the night whilst I checked for fogging of the headlamps every hour or so until midnight.

fortunately this mornning at 9am the car passed its MOT straight through and no advisories.

all that time spent out in the snow de-fogging headlamps I might just as well have gone out in the cold to change the steering colunm.

the motto to this rant is never remove the backplate access plate of your headlamps to change a bulb outside in freezing temperatures, it is probably far better to take the headlamp out and change the bulb indoors where the air should be warmer and you wont let any moist air into the headlamp housing. :rant2:
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh well, at least it passed Nigel, that's the main thing :D

Pleased the steering column did the business. Is the new door on yet?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Re: Pre MOT Blues.

Post by Kowalski »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:the motto to this rant is never remove the backplate access plate of your headlamps to change a bulb outside in freezing temperatures, it is probably far better to take the headlamp out and change the bulb indoors where the air should be warmer and you wont let any moist air into the headlamp housing. :rant2:
You can demist headlamps by turning them on for a while with the cover off the back........
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Ha! Why didn't I think of that?

I put mine in the oven at 50°C - figured that wouldn't hurt 'em. :roll:
Vamps
My Cars:

Re: Pre MOT Blues.

Post by Vamps »

Kowalski wrote:
falling-out-with-my-car wrote:the motto to this rant is never remove the backplate access plate of your headlamps to change a bulb outside in freezing temperatures, it is probably far better to take the headlamp out and change the bulb indoors where the air should be warmer and you wont let any moist air into the headlamp housing. :rant2:
You can demist headlamps by turning them on for a while with the cover off the back........
Assisted by a 'hot air paint remover'...... :) :) :)

Result with the MOT though....... :D
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

CitroJim wrote:Ahh well, at least it passed Nigel, that's the main thing :D

Pleased the steering column did the business. Is the new door on yet?
Blimey give me a chance Jim, gotta find a new inner plastic oppener mine doesnt fit. BL***Y thing. thought the door was supposed to be complete???
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:gotta find a new inner plastic oppener
A what?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car

the part you grab to open the door, jim. ie the black plastic catch release

rergards Nigel.