suspendion

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

keith254

suspendion

Post by keith254 »

I have a 1999 2.0 HDI TD Exclusive Xantia 110 bhp
I am having problems with the steering and suspendion :-
The steering is hard and soft to turn at times, a secondhand pump was fitted

the suspendion rises and falls at any time both front and rear allow mostly front. it sinks very quickly at times and takes about 1 to 2 mins to raise, it can be a soft ride one minute and start bouncing the next.
there is flushing fluid in it at present now for over a f/night, yes it has slightly improved.

Mech, said that when he took out the hydro/fluid it was two different fluids ,two different coloures and a lot of gung came out.

A front height corrector has been fitted
A hdi pump was fitted { recond one }

I am at my third, mech with this car and no further forward.
I have had two prev, xantias over a pertos of 9 years with trouble free driving, I am now very sorry I let my last one go to a friend who is delighted with it.
HHHH eeeeelp
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi Keith and welcome

it sounds like something has been put in the hydraulic tankl that should not have been, (brake fluid??????)

how did the machanic tell there were two diferent types of fluid in the tank,

were abouts are you

regards malcolm
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Some of the symptoms might indicate air being sucked in an pumped. Maybe time for a temporary fitment of some clear hose in the main feed and return lines to the tank to look for air bubbles?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If there is any suggestion at all that "foreign" fluid has been in the system then it's absolutely necessary to fully drain it, clean the reservoir and filters and refill with Hydraflush as soon as possible.

The usual contaminant is Dexron ATF and if so then as long as it is got out quick and flushed, no long-term harm should result.

Brake fluid is another matter. Not sure the rubber components will like it very much...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Looking at your symptoms, I'd be inclined, if V6's clear hose suggestion does not reveal the problem, to concentrate on the pressure regulator as it looks like you're suffering a loss of pressure at times.

Did the mechanic replace the main accumulator sphere? A totally flat one can cause all sorts of funny issues. It is easy to check the health of the accumulator; listen for regular ticks from it. The ticks should occur at intervals of 20 seconds or more. If it is ticking like a ten-bob watch then either the accumulator sphere is dead or there is a massive internal leak present in the system, draining pressure.

As yours is an Exclusive, you have Hydractive suspension and one cause of high pressure loss can be failure of a stiffness regulator electrovalve. This can be proved by forcing the car to stay in hard mode by removing F8 in the engine bay fuse box to disable the Hydractive soft mode. If this improves the tick rate and stops the intermittent sinking, check the electrovalves for excessive leakage. Sometimes they give themselves away by making a "flushing toilet" sound when switching from soft to hard mode.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

If the steering has a stiffish and lumpy type feel, it can ALSO be the UJ joint, just above the pinion valve!

Even with a heat shield they still get warm and can try out the lubrication.. Id look here if you have fitted another pump with no real differences.. unless theres obvious air ingress from a split pipe etc..

Ive changed 4 UJ's now on 4 different cars.. 3 Xantia's, and one an XM.. prevented two from completely sizing, a Xsara, and mums Xantia hdi... so these are also a common failure. The PAS is driven directly from the HP pump and should need system pressure to operate - more like a conventional PAS setup, even though it uses the same pump..

Eliminating leaks or air intake is first priority..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto