Is valve grinding ok on an HDI ??

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TopDonkey
My Cars:

Is valve grinding ok on an HDI ??

Post by TopDonkey »

I am just about to reassemble my head after it came back from its skim, and i was about to lightly lap the valves in to check the seats were good, when i remembered you cant valve grind on some more modern engines nowdays and wondered if the HDI was one your not supposed to valve grind on ?

Thanks
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

Oh well, haynes manual says i can do it, so i am !!, done the coarse, but run out of fine paste, so will have to get some tomorrow and finish it up then
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you do know the valve face's have to be a certain depth into there seats below the head face, after a head skim so just lapping them in might not be enough,

you might have to have the seats cut deeper,

if they are to close to the head surface they will contact the pistons
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

I'm not familiar with the HDi engine but if the valve clearances are manually adjusted (Shims) you will have to check them.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

They are hydralic on the HDi.
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

I thought the valves were supposed to stick up slightly past the surface ?, mine certainly do !, and they did before i had the head skimmed too !!

I will get my dial gauge out and check the valve protrusion, i dont suppose you know the figures for valve height relative to the head do you ?, my haynes doesnt mention it.

And as i'm here, does anyone know the torque for the injector tips ?, i took the tips off, cleaned them out with carb cleaner and found 2 of the 5 jets were fully blocked, but after spraying carb cleaner in and blasting it through with my compressor, they are spraying a really nice fine pattern from all 5 at 90psi (i cant generate 1500 psi to test them !!, and nor would i want to anyway)
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

Phew!, you had me worried for a while there, I just checked the valve height data and they should protrude 0.2mm, not be sunk into the head at all.

The 0.2mm should be the mean average of 4 measurements taken around the circumfrence of the valve
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

Checked the valve protrusion and 7 were in spec, 1 was 0.12 over, so i just spent 2 hours with coarse paste (again!) getting it within spec, i left it at exactly 0.20mm, so everything is within spec and ready to go back on

I'm glad you mentioned valve prottrusion now Citronut, i would have put it all back together and risked no 5 valve whacking the piston which wouldnt have been good !

Cheers
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

excuse my ignorance as i have not done any work on the HDI's yet, but isnt the HDI the xud lump then,

and are you sure its the valves that should protrud from the head face, and not the pistons from the surface of the block,

regards malcolm
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

This is my holy grail site i use for all my technical information on my D9 406

http://petrila.net/peugeot/Service/406D ... recap3.htm

And this is the page that says about valve protrusion on the 2.0 HDI, the 2.2 HDI has to have the valves sunk, but the 2.0 HDI has to have the protruding 0.2mm as far as i can see (have a look and double check please though!)

Look at step 4 in the link below

http://petrila.net/peugeot/Service/406D ... dj0dk3.htm
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

Injector disassembley and cleaning (in case anyones interested!) along with the tightening torque of the nozzle tip holder (33 foot pounds)

The injector bodies are different to HDI injectors, but the internals are pretty much identical to what you will find

http://pics2.tdiclub.com/pdf/injector_install_howto.pdf
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ok thats a very interesting site,

but unless i read it wrongly it also seems to say the pistons protrud from the block face, if this is so i would have thought there will be piston to valve contact,

regards malcolm
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

Thats correct too, the pistons do stick up, but the piston tops are a very odd shape with a very deep doghnut shaped combustion chamber in the centre, and valve shaped cutouts that the valves fit into when the piston comes up

It looks like tolerances are seriously precise on the HDI's, but i am confident that its all done correctly now and i am using a 5 notch 1.5mm thick gasket just in case too !!