ZX whistling noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MiX
My Cars:

ZX whistling noise

Post by MiX »

My ZX 16v has developed an "annoying" whistling noise, coming from the (I think) right hand side of the engine room. Almost sounds like a turbo[:D]. Its noticeable around 2200+ RPM when your driving. It has been like this for a couple of months now. Can't say I've noticed any difference with the engine when driving. My first thought is an airleak(vacuume?) of some kind, but where? Any ideas??
-Jarle
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Jarle -
RH side wieved from your drivers seat or standing in front of engine [?][:)]
From drivers seat (LHD in N) - if the sound appears from RH side, most likely one or more of the cambelt or drivebelt driven parts. Have it checked ASAP [:0], worn cambelt/components is FATAL (EXPENSIVE) to your engine !
From drivers seat - if sound appears from LH side, could be gearbox/diff needing oil topping up. Check for any signs of oil leaks from driveaxles in diff.
Or could simply be your cabin heater fan. Try have it at full speed or closed off, various temp/grille settings while driving.
MiX
My Cars:

Post by MiX »

RH side viewed from the drivers seat.
The cambelt was changed at 120.000km. It's now at 148.000km. But thanks for the tip. I'll have it checked out soon.
Cabin heater fan? Could this be making a noise when it's turned off? Hm.. seems strange.. But then again I'll check it out[:)].
So you don't think it's a air-leak/vacume problem?
-Jarle
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Jarle -
Whistling sounds from a car at certain speed could be nearly anything [:p]
To be safe I try first rule out the most expensive causes [;)]
- then the easy ones [:)]
If you suspect airleaks in the intake/inlet manifold area, you should try if start-gas (carefull !) gives any variations in engine revs.
Also check doors/windows, for any signs of rubber seals have been displaced.
BTW : Are you aware of the Scandinavian Citroen forum Akuten :
www.citroen.nu
[?]
- not to kick you off this forum [:D]
I could'nt tell which one is better, guess it's a matter of personal taste & language preference. Both forums have moderators with incredible knowledge on any thinkable Citroen problem.
One thing is for sure : using both forums quickly gives you large insight on most common problems with any given Citroen model.
MiX
My Cars:

Post by MiX »

I think I maybe left out the most important bit of info on my problem. The whistling noise increases with engine RPM.[:o)] That's why I expect an enging "problem".
Think I'll also check out Akuten.[:)]
shaun easton
My Cars:

Post by shaun easton »

it sounds like it could be the turbo if its around 2200rpm cos thats when the turbo kicks in i donmt think theres out to worry about my old 306 did it and i ran it for years like it..............
MiX
My Cars:

Post by MiX »

shaun -
Can't be the turbo, because I don't have one. [:)] But it sounds like one.
-Jarle
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Sounds like a turbo [?][?]
- that could easily be Alternator noise [:)]
- either electical reaching your stereo speakers, or mechanical from a worn bearing.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Our ZX diesel (non-turbo) suffers from strange whistling noises from the front - which is in fact wind noise as I found out when I sat in it in a gale.
I think its something to do with the arrangement behind the front bumper which seems to be a large cavity with a large circulr hole in it. Haven't investigated much yet as my wife generally drives it and loves it and doesn't complain about the noise!
jeremy