Saxo 1.1 Desire

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bitonthesidexm

Saxo 1.1 Desire

Post by bitonthesidexm »

My lad has just come in complaining of a smell of oil in the car. I have just had a quick look (it's dark outside) and there looks like a leak just to the left (looking at the front of the engine) of the exhaust manifold. Any suggestions? The annoying thing is he was going to try and sell it in a couple of weeks!
Looking for an XM. And a job!
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

On that little "shelf" that's part of the block ?

Typically that could be the headgasket leaking oil :(

On a more positive note, its not unknown for the rocker cover gasket to simply be perished and leak or even the rocker cover to just be loose (from memory, most of these have just two 13mm nuts holding it on, check they are not loose)

The smell is probably a bit of oil getting onto the manifold, it only takes a tiny bit to stink anyway as its so hot.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
bitonthesidexm

Post by bitonthesidexm »

Thanks Andy - I think it is by that shelf. I'll have a better look in the morning. Any ideas on a price to get the head gasket done?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

To be honest, no. Although its not a difficult job really. Estimate maybe 3-4 hours work.

It might not be that, oil can sit on there anyway, do not worry about that just yet.

See what the rocker cover gasket is like, check its not just those two bolts come loose though.

If you have no mayo in the coolant or oil, I'd say just clean it off and then check it again after say 2 or 3 days to see if its returned.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

9 times out of 10 with the TU engine it is the head gasket gone, if there is no sign of oil up/down the head face above the head to block joint, this will definetly be head gasket gone,

as these head gaskets have a small almost triangular shaped section bonded into it, to seal the main oil way feed to the head,
the bonding gives way and alows oil out between the head and block,

on the bright side it is a very easy job which can all be done from above wirhout jacking the car up and removeing the OS front wheel

regards malcolm
bitonthesidexm

Post by bitonthesidexm »

Thanks for your replies. I haven't had chance for another look as yet as my lad had to go to work early!
bitonthesidexm

Post by bitonthesidexm »

That's wierd - I cleaned the oil off with the jet wash, my lad took it for a run and now there is no oil weep! It's definately not the rocker cover because that is bone dry all round. He has taken it to work today so I will just wait and see. Thanks for your help.