Xsara 2002 Auto Gearbox problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tony65

Xsara 2002 Auto Gearbox problem

Post by tony65 »

I have recently bought a 2002 diesel zsara auto. When it is cold but also sometimes when warm. the auto gearbox decides to go into what I will call 'limp home mode'. The normal green led light next to the 'D' on the dash for Drive goes out and a yellow light to the right of the gear indicator lights up along with and 'S' and what looks like a 'snowflake' symbol. These seem to be related to the two switches to the right of the gear shifter but as I have no user handbook, I have no idea what they mean.

The symptoms are that the car seems to be restricted to 2 ratios rather than the normal 5.

If I knock the shifter into neutral, turn of the ignition, re-start and re-select Drive, all is good.

Any idea what is going on?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Tony, welcome to the forum :D

I would imagine the gearbox in question is the Siemens AL4.

Yes, indeed it is going into limp mode. In this mode it will only engage third gear and reverse and will never lock the torque converter.

As to why is another question entirely. There are many reasons and the only real way is to run a diagnostics session over it using a Lexia Diagnostic tool. This will read any stored faults and should say why it is happening. Trying to diagnose without a Lexia for a fault like this is really stabbing in the dark.

A diagnostic session like this will be expensive from a dealer and may not bear full fruit as automatic gearboxs are in the realms of the dark arts for most and not well understood.

One possible cause is mis-alignment of the multi-function switch. This device is attached to the gearbox selector shaft and tells the ECU what you are doing with the gear selector and what position it is in. This is not certain as there are other things that can cause it such as slipping brake bands/clutches that give rise to incorrect speed differentials between the input and output speed sensors for the gear selected. The ECU is very clever in this respect.

The first thing to do in the case of any fault like this is to change the
gearbox fluid. Note that the AL4 uses special ESSO LT71141 fluid and nothing else should ever be used, especially the more readily available Dexron. The correct fluid is available from any Peugeot or Citroen Spares Counter. You can do this yourself but ideally you need a Lexia to reset the oil wear counter and to ensure the gearbox oil is at the right temperature for level checking.

Depending on where you are, you may find a Lexia owning member on here willing to do a diagnostic session for you...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
tony65

xsara auto

Post by tony65 »

Thanks Jim for the advice. I had planned to change the fluid. The unit has 100k miles and I would expect has never had a fluid change.

The other thing I didn't mention is that the gearbox tends to 'hunt' when cold. It will take quite a thrashing when warm (not really the done thing for a diesel xsara estate!) But I'm Australian and don't understand the rules anyway!

Running in sub-zero ambient temperatures tends to make the situation worse.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Presuming that you reside in the UK (going by the "Sub-zero temperatures" and email address) there is a list & map of members with Lexias and their locations in this thread.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: xsara auto

Post by CitroJim »

At 100K, it's well due a change then :) Although Citroen claim "sealed for life" don't believe a word of it.

If you want to do an DIY fluid change, here is the guide on how to do it.
tony65 wrote:But I'm Australian and don't understand the rules anyway!
No worries there Tony. I understand :wink: Although not a pukka Aussie, I've lived in your fair country in the past and our daughter (owner of the 206 in my signature) was born there. She's a little Territorian, born in Darwin :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...